Club Statement 03/05/24

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Big Rich

We could do a lot worse than Mel.
Big Rich

Mark my words - Dowse will be back.
Tony

Wonder how he would get on with the owners? Could be a fun watch. Will be interesting to see where we go next as an indication of intent. Dowse has the sort of experience for the level but coming off a disastrous season at Dartford it would be a brave move. Scott Davies at Slough has done a great job on a more limited budget. Could he be tempted if we can offer more backing? Taking a chance on another Mel, someone from outside the non league fishing pond, has obvious risks. Seems that the club still wants someone who can play a wider developmental role. Knowing players and having extensive contacts is crucial. Not sure Mel really had that sort of network.
Shepperton Supporter

I am sure Dowse will be interested so will others Steve King for example! Whether we want them is another matter! Hopefully we can go for someone with experience at National League or above level. It will all depend on the budget and the owners ambitions.
EastTerracer

Seems to me that more is going on here. Mel seemed such an integral part of what the brothers were trying to do so a bit of a shock despite the failure to reach the playoffs. Timing is bad in terms of recruitment for next season.
EastTerracer

Maybe we are bringing in Armando to help the build the story for the investors.
Shepperton Supporter

I note that Davies of Slough has been mentioned, agree he has done a good job and is a very good communicator. He has just signed a new contract so unlikely. David Noble has Exeter connections and has managed at this level., Another in this same category with Exeter connections is Simpson at Chelmsford.
One thing is agreed, time is not on our side, other clubs will be after our players and if we don’t have them on contract then we all know what can happen, we have seen it before!
KewBeaver

Maybe Mel has got another job to go to?
HamptonMad

KewBeaver wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:36 am Maybe Mel has got another job to go to?
Off back to Barnet.
Shepperton Supporter

Before this news I was mulling over where we might strengthen the team and possible additions, now this task is impossible until more facts are known. It could turn out to be a summer of multiple changes both on and off the pitch!
TW3 Beaver

Tony wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 8:21 am Scott Davies at Slough has done a great job on a more limited budget. Could he be tempted if we can offer more backing?
He's a rebel and he'll never be any good.
:mrgreen:
TW3 Beaver

Most of the posts on here, in response to the statement, seem to assume that Mel was sacked.

Maybe it was his own decision.