Torquay away.

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Shepperton Supporter

Just wonder if Mel is seeing if the Gibson-Hammond with Fadahunsi works, it might give the other players a rest for the next couple of games.
Tony

Losing 1-0 pen Torquay
BeaverWatcher

It's not been a great first half. Playing with the wind we haven’t really looked after the ball.

Gibson-Hammond had our best chance of the half. Ref is definitely entering in to the helping Torquay cause they are broke spirit. Hasn't given us anything really.
Lord Elpus

Watching the livestream I thought the first half was poor. No real threat up front without either Seymour or the injury.prone Bloomfield.
Tony

Lost 1-0.
Lord Elpus

Well apart from a couple of half chances in the second half that was very poor against a pretty ordinary side.
Shepperton Supporter

In some ways things were stacked against us. Torquay were desperate to get a win in front of a large crowd and this emotion could have spurred the home team on. Obviously our team selection may not have helped, but Mel might have been looking at a bigger picture, he has said previously he would not risk players if they had a slight injury. Bringing on Inman for a forward suggest the lack of striker cover. I noted Donaldson got booked again, he must be getting near a ban as these yellow cards mount up.
Let’s hope for some points in the next Easter games.
BeaverWatcher

Second half was better and Ru had a great chance to equalise. However we still allowed Torquay in to the game as we would be on top then make a poor pass or decision and give them the advantage.
tones

Taking the Hampton team as a whole where exactly are the goals going to come from that will get us into the play-offs and via them the National League.
Shepperton Supporter

BeaverWatcher wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:16 pm Second half was better and Ru had a great chance to equalise. However we still allowed Torquay in to the game as we would be on top then make a poor pass or decision and give them the advantage.
Several contributors have mentioned the midfield and it weakness and this might be where some of these problems you hightailed stem from.
I noted that Mel took off both strikers around 75 minutes, replacing them with a Inman and Hall, to my way of thinking getting an equaliser was made that much harder. Obviously there was a reason which may became apparent later.
tones

Hampton 4th in the league. Welling 18th and home draw. Torquay 17th and away defeat. Surely these are teams that Hampton should be beating if we want to go up to the National League.