Aveley away on Monday.

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Tony

Game drifting away. If it stays like this then 6 goals conceded in last two games, one scored. Just two shots all game so far.
Lord Elpus

Think I'll contact the National League streaming service...it seems like only one team has turned up.
BevereeMaster

:lol:
Lord Elpus wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:51 pm Think I'll contact the National League streaming service...it seems like only one team has turned up.
TW16Brucie

HamptonMad wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:12 pm 2.0 down pen Thats it Start the club car lets get out of here.
Seems like another waste of petrol?
EastTerracer

From the commentary it sounded like we created very little.
Josh2002

A very pitiful performance, i try to stay positive, but no defending that sadly, completely outclassed. Midfield looks very weak and desperately needs improving.
HamptonMad

TW16Brucie wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:01 pm
HamptonMad wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:12 pm 2.0 down pen Thats it Start the club car lets get out of here.
Seems like another waste of petrol?

Its Electric.
TW10

Listened to a fair amount of the commentary sounded very poor. I thought pre-season was underwhelming and i know we can’t play at home but i’m surprised we’ve started the season so badly. Don’t seem to carry much of a threat and i know it’s early days but we have the worst goal difference in the league. Other than pre season i haven’t seen them this season. Those who have, where do the problems lie??
BeaverWatcher

Just listened to Mel's interview and can only assume I was at a different game as we were, apparently, in control of the match during the first half.

This would be the half where Adam made several good saves whilst their keeper got so bored he took up landscape painting.

We still have a core of a squad that finished 17th last year so I'm not sure how that makes us strong enough to mount a play off tilt. How many of those in display today would have started week in, week out for Ebbsfleet last year?

We look under-cooked, carry little physical threat across the park and don't seem to create many chances.

Still plenty left in the season but hard work needed to make the necessary improvements.
Tony

Only the second game I have seen live, Eastbourne being the other. My concern in pre season was around midfield and not getting overrun as so often happened last season. First 25 mins we were ok to positive in an uneventful game but created only one off target effort from CKB. Our build up is patient but often allowed the opposition to drop into defensive pattern and our final ball was never really clinical enough to unlock them. Aveley were more direct and countered us a couple of times when moves broke down. Gradually they started to get more joy down the flanks and we scrambled to defend a couple of attacks before they scored. CKB put in a poor pass with a lot of players ahead of him which was intercepted and within a few seconds the ball was in the back Desbois’ net. Second half couldn’t have started any worse conceding a soft penalty in the 47th minute. 2-0. Mel rang the changes but not much really changed for us attack-wise with Aveley opening us up with some ease. They should have had a second penalty which looked more clear cut than the first. Their third goal removed any chance of a comeback. We managed only one other effort on goal, a tame shot by Gray. Contrary to Mel’s pre season prediction, we don’t look like scoring many goals but mainly because we aren’t creating good enough chances to feed the front players. Midfield still lacks bite in my view and pace going forward. Too many samey players as commented on above. Today Aveley were able to run through us too easily, similar to the first half at Eastbourne. Hopefully we can regroup before the trip to Farnborough and their aerial bombardment.
Josh2002

TW10 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:22 pm Listened to a fair amount of the commentary sounded very poor. I thought pre-season was underwhelming and i know we can’t play at home but i’m surprised we’ve started the season so badly. Don’t seem to carry much of a threat and i know it’s early days but we have the worst goal difference in the league. Other than pre season i haven’t seen them this season. Those who have, where do the problems lie??
From today it seemed abundantly clear that we got totally overran in midfield, which was terribly poor all afternoon. Also, our persistence on trying to lump the ball up to Seymour who is clearly not a tall or aerial player frustrated a lot around me.
Lord Elpus

I feel really sorry for Seymour. Lots of effort, gets into some good positions, but is badly let down by a midfield that has no idea how to serve him up the chances he might be able to finish.