Name Change 1999

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Les1949

Referring to the question of when and how the club adopted 'Borough' which appears in the thread on the Middlesex Senior Cup (!).

The original idea came from Bob Hayes, but it was his successor, Vic Searle who pushed it through. At the AGM in June 1999 the Members of the Club agreed to the proposal to the change of name. It was reported in the local press that the members had 'overwhelmingly backed the name change'.
Brit

Despite Jamie's good explanations, I very much doubt if there are more than a handful (if that) of supporters who would care enough to want a supporters campaign to retain 'borough' and probably many who would be happy to see it go. I recall very well at the time it was introduced there was much derison on the then forum about adding Richmond Borough to the name.
EastTerracer

IMO, the key thing is that the fans have a say in any name change and it is not just done by stealth. If 'borough' is not valued as part of the name that could be a very quick process.
TW2-Beaver
Site Admin

Brit wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:29 am Despite Jamie's good explanations, I very much doubt if there are more than a handful (if that) of supporters who would care enough to want a supporters campaign to retain 'borough' and probably many who would be happy to see it go. I recall very well at the time it was introduced there was much derison on the then forum about adding Richmond Borough to the name.
I certainly want "& Richmond Borough" removed from the name and most of the fans I speak to seem to agree. The problem with dropping only the word "borough" though is that it changes the meaning of the name from 'Hampton and the surrounding borough' to 'the two towns of Hampton and Richmond' as though two clubs merged or the two towns have some connection (which they really don't). It just causes even more branding confusion than we had before.

Les or Tony may correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe the first proposal in 1999 was to change the name entirely to "Richmond Borough FC" which was rejected and the "Hampton &" was a compromise?
Lord Elpus

TW2-Beaver wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:46 am
Brit wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:29 am Despite Jamie's good explanations, I very much doubt if there are more than a handful (if that) of supporters who would care enough to want a supporters campaign to retain 'borough' and probably many who would be happy to see it go. I recall very well at the time it was introduced there was much derison on the then forum about adding Richmond Borough to the name.
I certainly want "& Richmond Borough" removed from the name and most of the fans I speak to seem to agree. The problem with dropping only the word "borough" though is that it changes the meaning of the name from 'Hampton and the surrounding borough' to 'the two towns of Hampton and Richmond' as though two clubs merged or the two towns have some connection (which they really don't). It just causes even more branding confusion than we had before.

Les or Tony may correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe the first proposal in 1999 was to change the name entirely to "Richmond Borough FC" which was rejected and the "Hampton &" was a compromise?
I certainly remember that being very strongly rumoured amongst the supporters at the time.
As for Hampton and Richmond, it's still a bit rubbish but I suppose it's a step in the right direction. Perhaps this was year one of a 4 year project. Maybe next summer we'll be known as Hampton And.
TW3 Beaver

EastTerracer wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:50 pm IMO, the key thing is that the fans have a say in any name change and it is not just done by stealth. If 'borough' is not valued as part of the name that could be a very quick process.
I'd be quite happy to drop the and Richmond bit.
Jamie

You've missed my point, and TW2 - Beaver has pointed it out well

I supported the club as Hampton.
I didn't want Hampton & Richmond Borough.
But dropping just "Borough" makes no sense. It ends up with a name that implies two places merging, rather than representing a Borough.
If changing the name then it should just be back to "Hampton"

Who knows, with all the Ted Lasso crap, it wouldn't surprise me if the plan had been to change to AFC Richmond.

Either way, bloody newbie outsiders coming in and making such changes is ridiculous.
I stand by what they said at the presentation, they said they wouldn't change the name, or the badge, or the colours.
They have since changed the name, and the badge..... and with a plain red kit, you could also argue the colours too.

What next.
EastTerracer

Lord Elpus wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:32 am Perhaps this was year one of a 4 year project. Maybe next summer we'll be known as Hampton And.
Perhaps HamRich FC is the owners desired end point though it may alienate some of those with dietary preferences. :lol:
TW3 Beaver

Jamie wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:51 pm You've missed my point, and TW2 - Beaver has pointed it out well

But dropping just "Borough" makes no sense. It ends up with a name that implies two places merging, rather than representing a Borough.

Who knows, with all the Ted Lasso crap, it wouldn't surprise me if the plan had been to change to AFC Richmond.

Either way, bloody newbie outsiders coming in and making such changes is ridiculous.
I stand by what they said at the presentation, they said they wouldn't change the name, or the badge, or the colours.
They have since changed the name, and the badge..... and with a plain red kit, you could also argue the colours too.

What next.
👍
TW2-Beaver
Site Admin

It is worth re-visiting an email sent out by the Supporter's Trust in February 2023, which states:

"the key terms that were agreed by the Trust board through a Participation Agreement and publicised at the time are ... No change to the club name (except the removal of Borough), colours and crest without prior consultation and a majority of supporters being in favour"

It is certainly true that the change to the club crest is therefore completely against the "participation agreement" which I can't seem to find a copy of anywhere; although the removal of 'Borough' appears to be something that was negotiated and agreed by the Trust board. Does anyone have a copy of this agreement? The new articles of association that were adopted in December 2022 basically just say that the directors can change the name of the company whenever they like, so I am interested in this participation agreement.
Big Rich

TW2-Beaver wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:46 am

Yes I completely agree with this. The issue is either to leave things as they are or remove “& Richmond Borough” entirely, otherwise the implication of who the club represents changes.
Big Rich

Jamie wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:51 pm You've missed my point, and TW2 - Beaver has pointed it out well

What next.
👍🏻