Those Were The Days; 23rd July 2002

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Les1949

THOSE WERE THE DAYS
July 23rd 2002
Hampton 1 Barnet 5 Att; 270
Thompson

Steve Farrelly; Ben Proudfoot, Ronnie Girvan, Ben Ferris, Eddie Saunders, Billy Mead, Jason Lay, Ashley Sestanovich, Richard Thompson, Eddie Akuamoah, Dean Thomas.

Subs (all used); Chris Bouchez; Mark Kredi, Lawrence Goddard, Alan Inns, Chris Payne, Koo Dumbaya, Enrico Grimm, Lazio Birccgak, Eysias Yhdego.

Girvan was the only first team player from the previous season’s first team squad that lined up in Ian McDonald’s first match as manager. Barnet’s Toby Oshitola opened the scoring (the first of his hat-trick). Former Carshalton player Richard Thompson levelled within minutes. A poor back-pass gave Barnet the chance to go in 2-1 up at half time. The second half was littered with the usual myriad of substitutions, Barnet adapting better and scoring three more times.

The 2002/03 season saw a change in the number of subs allowed to be nominated, five instead of three subs, but only 3 could be used.

The Old Historian
Lord Elpus

Ah, the Ian McDonald era. Some good players in that line up too. Pity he didn't sign many of them... although a very experienced coach he was completely unsuited to managing us with our budgetary restrictions at the time and we ended up being absolutely dreadful that season, deservedly being relegated.
Jamie

I never remember Alan Inns being under McDonald, or was he just a trialist for pre season?

Lawrence Goddard could have been fantastic in non league football, but like many others from the youth team, when not given much of a chance never carried on playing, he ended up playing local rugby in the midlands.
Adam

Jamie wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:05 pm I never remember Alan Inns being under McDonald, or was he just a trialist for pre season?
From what I can remember he is one of two players who played that season who then played under Devonshire. I think the other one might have been Sam Okafor. But I think two players stayed.
Tony

Inns was recruited by Ian McDonald from Wokingham and worked his way into the team over the season. Started out as a midfielder and only later dropped into defence. Not many survived that season but Inns and Dudley Gardner were kept on by Alan Devonshire. Need to check on Sam Okafor.
HamptonMad

Tony wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:35 pm Inns was recruited by Ian McDonald from Wokingham and worked his way into the team over the season. Started out as a midfielder and only later dropped into defence. Not many survived that season but Inns and Dudley Gardner were kept on by Alan Devonshire. Need to check on Sam Okafor.
Inns played in the Oxford utd youth team with my son at 16.