Les1949

New Season. New 'old' Memories

THOSE WERE THE DAYS
July 17th 2008
Pre-Season Friendly

HRBFC 2 West Ham United 4 Att; 3,118
Quarm, Yaku

HRBFC
Matt Lovett; Graham Harper, Ryan Lake, Orlando Jeffrey, John Scarborough, Dean Wells, Glen Harris, Francis Quarm, Ian Hodges, Lawrence Yaku, Barrie Matthews.
Subs; Chico Ramos; Shaun McAuley, Craig Tanner, Robbie Kember, Elliott Frost, Aaron Barnett, Elliott Braithwaite, Chris Robins, Jack Francis.

WHU
Rob Green; Lucas Neill, Joe Widdington, Anton Ferdinand, Callum Davenport, Dean Ashton, Craig Bellamy, Kyel Reid, Mark Noble, Hayden Mullins, Julian Faubert.
Subs; Jimmy Walker; Tony Stokes, Junior Stanislaus, Scott Parker, Carlton Cole, Luis Boa-Morte, Jack Collison, Bonz N’Gala, Jordan Spence, Ashley Miller, Zavon Hines.

They came in their thousands and were right royally entertained. As promised West Ham sent their entire first team squad and a new record crowd turned up for this all-ticket game. Quarm scored in the 36th minute beating Green with a dipping volley, celebrating with a 50-yard dash around Beveree (Quarm’s day job was in the Hammers IT department!). Bellamy equalised almost immediately. Just before half-time an Ashton cushioned header was turned in by Noble. Bellamy scored his second on the hour mark. A superb strike by Yaku in the 70th minute brought the Beavers within a goal, however Hines scored late on to secure West Ham’s 4-2 win. West Ham were flying out of Heathrow the next day to North America, but their players made themselves available for all the young (and, not so young) autograph hunters.

The Old Historian
Jamie

A brilliant day!!
TW16Brucie

What a great squad we had then? Thanks to Dev. A fantastic day for the club.
Tony

Still think we could do with a Francis Quarm in midfield.
shaunden

Brilliant game ,agree good squad. Changed my mind about Bellamy that night thought he was great.
Lord Elpus

We had a fantastic squad then, in which was probably my favourite era of supporting the club. We went so close in two playoff finals and really were consistently hard to beat. Dev was easily our best manager in my view.
That was a very strong West Ham side too...and it was a very weird game for those, like me, who grew up regularly watching the Irons.