Player of the season

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Tony

So who gets your vote? In an injury disrupted season one player stands out in terms of appearances, Jake Gray, but my vote goes to the ever reliable Dean Inman who rarely has a bad game and has had more than plenty to deal with all season. Honourable mentions based on the second half of the season to Louis Fernandez and Dan Wishart. Up front very little to get excited by other than Connor Kurran-Browne who has steadily improved and with some good coaching and a few more goals could turn into a key player next season.

Had he not jumped ship Tommy Block could have been challenging for best player. Of the loanees, Liam Vincent was my pick closely followed by Tommy Davis and Adrian Clifton. Pity Clifton could not add more goals to his game but showed what we were missing in terms of leading the line. Mel said in his comments that he doesn’t want to overly rely on a 20 goal a season striker but teams challenging promotion nearly always have one. Our top scorer this season has just six which speaks volumes to why we have struggled.
Last edited by Tony on Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shepperton Supporter

A good summary of the season Tony, one which has seen some major and far reaching changes at the club. As for players, would agree about Dean Inman , he has held the defence together through some difficult times, the return to fitness of Fernandez and the arrival of Wishart has helped. Gray and Julian (once got fit) have also played their part.
TW10

Yep both of you are spot on.. Inman with Gray a close second. Also the names in the earlier posts should form the basis for next season. I would go With Julian and Clifton next season as well as all the mentioned younger players.
Lord Elpus

I honestly can't decide between Gray and Inman. In the end though I think I might just go for Gray but only because I think he may have played slightly more games. Tough decision though.
HamptonMad

Gray for me. Makes it look easy. Should be playing in National league.
Tony

My only issue with Clifton is that I am not sure he has enough goals in him. One in 11 appearances. Wood was better than that and I definitely don’t think he was up to the job. Clifton of course does create chances for others and leads the line well so if you do play him you also need a finisher. Jeffers of St Albans would be a possible target I would suggest. Proven record at this level.
Lord Elpus

HamptonMad wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:34 am Gray for me. Makes it look easy. Should be playing in National league.
He's played for clubs in League 2 and the National League before and always ended up being deemed surplus to requirements. Wonder why that was? He's more than good enough.
Shepperton Supporter

My only thought about Clifton is that he is on loan so his availability might not be in our own hands. He is 34 and whilst he has filled the target role, as Tony has pointed out, his goal threat is low. If we could get a younger, more mobile target man, with greater goal threat that would be ideal. Priority signings for next season will at least two strikers , plus midfield?
GRTourist

I think Shane Dunne should be in the conversation as well, personally. I think he's had an excellent season and has been consistent in every position he's played - centre mid, centre back and right back.
Shepperton Supporter

Tony mentioned Jeffers , from memory he left Chelmsford because of travelling, that may still be the case. If you are thinking of strikers then Alexander currently on loan at Slough from Bromley might be a possible? Roberts at Havant who look unlikely to make the playoffs. We need players who can and have made their mark at our level or above. It will depend on the budget and player availability, think that the new regime will be looking at upgrades to supplement off field work. Mel might have some of his own contracts in mind.
I am looking forward to what I hope, will be an exciting summer.