First Team Analyst

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Tony

Club is advertising for a part time analyst to report to the First Team Manager and Head of Football Operations. At present I am guessing Mel fills both those roles but this suggests that we may see two people in place for next season. I know Mel is very focused on data analysis when recruiting and prepping for games so not surprised to see this new post being created.
Shepperton Supporter

This role is becoming more popular and professional especially further up the football pyramid, so not surprised. To me it sums up the way the club is now heading and Mel wants to instil this throughout the club. Mel through his contacts, might have someone in mind.
We supporters may have to accept and acknowledge this is the way football is going even down to our level, we might be ahead of the game currently, but if successful, others might follow.
Got a feeling that if we avoid relegation this season, then there will be lots of changes both on and off the pitch in the summer and over the next few months.
Lord Elpus

Haven't Brentford done something like this for a few years now, i.e. only signing players whose stats immediately match exactly their own statistical requirements? It's certainly worked for them but you would imagine it being much more difficult to achieve with non-league players where a bad day at work on a Tuesday could drastically affect their performance in the evening!
Shepperton Supporter

Agree about Brentford who have done this coupled with other innovative schemes. It will be interesting to see how we employ this resource.
Tony

The point of stats is that you look at performance over a longer period to see the trends. We all have an off day but that shouldn't skew the trends that much. We need to find a stat that says never missed a penalty!
Jamie

Shepperton Supporter wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:54 am This role is becoming more popular and professional especially further up the football pyramid, so not surprised. To me it sums up the way the club is now heading and Mel wants to instil this throughout the club. Mel through his contacts, might have someone in mind.
We supporters may have to accept and acknowledge this is the way football is going even down to our level, we might be ahead of the game currently, but if successful, others might follow.
Got a feeling that if we avoid relegation this season, then there will be lots of changes both on and off the pitch in the summer and over the next few months.
Ahead of the game currently?
You are joking aren't you?
Other clubs have been doing this for years, even lower in the pyramid.
Most clubs have Director of Football roles to oversee all aspects of the club, the pathway of players through youth to the first team, player recruitment etc.
HRBFC are years behind other clubs.
Jamie

Shepperton Supporter wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:51 am Agree about Brentford who have done this coupled with other innovative schemes. It will be interesting to see how we employ this resource.
Every club uses player analysis. It isn't merely about signing players based on stats.
Also stats are pointless unless used for a reason, just like people who film games with Veo cameras. You then have to use the footage and data to be of a benefit.