Dover away on Saturday.

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Tony

I am sure that if Mel sees out the season strongly then he will be in a good position to seek an improved budget and frankly, if we have ambitions to push for promotion, we are going to need a bigger budget. And let’s not forget he will have a wider role at the club where he might want some investment in the Academy, Youth, Ladies, etc. What we don’t want to see is the team getting to safety and then taking the foot off the pedal. No doubt Mel will be looking carefully at the current squad and weighing up who he wants to retain and where he needs to strengthen.
Shepperton Supporter

Just looking at Mel’s role and how wide it is. It would not surprise me if we see him appoint a player coach using his contacts within the football pyramid.
As for the team strengthening think we will all agree that certain positions need to be addressed.
EastTerracer

Shepperton Supporter wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:22 am Just looking at Mel’s role and how wide it is. It would not surprise me if we see him appoint a player coach using his contacts within the football pyramid.
I think he alluded to this in an interview after joining.
Shepperton Supporter

Assuming we remain in this division, if Mel gets a player coach, the position he plays might have a bearing on the retained list, the most likely being either a defender or midfield?
Shepperton Supporter

Have I missed it? Could not find any highlights of this game.
HamptonMad

Shepperton Supporter wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:34 am Have I missed it? Could not find any highlights of this game.
I cant find any highlights for this game either.
But then again we did give them a thrashing. Not sure being a Dover supporter i would want to watch that again.
Jamie

Regarding Mel, I thought he was appointed in a role above the manager to oversee the wider aspects of the club.
Therefore with the intention of bringing in a 1st team manager (or rather "Head Coach") to run the 1st team.
As he is doing well having stepped in to cover the role after Gary McCann was sacked, he may well now want the role for himself, but then it's a backwards step long term, as if things go badly again, you aren't going to sack yourself are you.

That's the way I saw the appointment anyway, with the long title he was given when announced.