Those Were The Days; 6th March 1982

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Les1949

THOSE WERE THE DAYS
March 6th 1982
Isthmian (Berger Paints) League Division 1
St Albans City 1 Hampton 2
Heselden, Shodeinde

Ian Mason; Tim Hollands, Peter Bartlett, Richard Smith, Steve Smith, Mick Heselden, Perry Tunesi, Peter Shodeinde, Junior Crooks, Duncan Bassett, Andy McCollin.
Sub; Mark Fewings

In the first of four away games, Hampton got off to a good start with a 2-1 win on a difficult pitch, giving them their first league double of the season. The hosts took the lead on the half-hour but by half-time, Hampton had a winning lead. Heselden equalised following in on a Bassett free-kick, then, a long clearance by Mason found Shodeinde in space to strike the ball past the keeper. Mason was the busier of the keepers in the second half pulling off a series of fine saves.
BTW, Ian Mason is a regular customer in Chinos!

The Old Historian
Lord Elpus

Another trip down memory lane for me... I was 14 and had been going to games at Hampton for nearly 18 months by this point. If I remember rightly Ian Mason was a giant of a keeper, Junior Crooks was player coach. This team had some very good players in it but possibly underachieved somewhat. Peter Shodeinde was a good striker for whom we actually paid a transfer fee for, I think from Hendon, a bigger club than us back then. I briefly taught his son a few years ago and told him that I thought I'd seen his Dad play football. I asked if he ever mentioned his playing days. "He never shuts up about them!" was the response. Great to hear that Ian Mason is still local. I think we signed him from another local club, maybe Chertsey?
Whoryer

I was 13 and went to the game I think on the team coach with about 10 other supporters.I think we use to get less than 100 for home games then.
Lord Elpus

Whoryer wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:09 pm I was 13 and went to the game I think on the team coach with about 10 other supporters.I think we use to get less than 100 for home games then.
It would depend on who we were playing I think. Some of the minor cup games (and there were quite a few of those) used to have pretty low crowds.
Whoryer

I thought it was most league games not just cup games but it's 40 years ago so definitely can't be certain
Lord Elpus

Whoryer wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:06 pm I thought it was most league games not just cup games but it's 40 years ago so definitely can't be certain
We were in loads of fairly minor cups though... London Senior, Middx Snr, Middx Charity, Southern Combination Cup, League Cup, Loctite Trophy (or whoever the sponsor was that season) I'm sure there might have been more. Certainly occasional league games might have been below 100 at that time, I wonder if Les is able to confirm?
Les1949

Lord Elpus wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:13 pm
Whoryer wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:06 pm I thought it was most league games not just cup games but it's 40 years ago so definitely can't be certain
We were in loads of fairly minor cups though... London Senior, Middx Snr, Middx Charity, Southern Combination Cup, League Cup, Loctite Trophy (or whoever the sponsor was that season) I'm sure there might have been more. Certainly occasional league games might have been below 100 at that time, I wonder if Les is able to confirm?
I have only found 1 attendance reported for 1981/82 and that was against Maidenhead on 27th October, 1981. 100, which sounds a bit 'made up'. I don't think that it was common practice for clubs to report attendances.