Those Were The Days; 28th February 1998

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Les1949

THOSE WERE THE DAYS
February 28th 1998
Isthmian (ICIS) League Division 1
Romford 0 Hampton 1 Att; 250
Moore

Mark Russell; Darren Powell, Nick Burton, Warren Drew, Danny Collyer (Dave Rattue,87’) Junior Harvey, Robin Lewis, Ian Savage (Steve Cheshire, 58’), Francis Vines, Andy Gray, Barry Moore..
Unused Sub; Roy Jellow.

Hampton won a physical battle at Romford, 1-0 to keep their promotion hopes alive. During a match dogged by sleet and snow, Savage left the field, concussed (punch to the head by Romford’s keeper); Collyer, dead leg; Burton, broken nose (again) and Powell, bruised and battered, having had his shirt collar ripped off! The fittest player on the pitch was Barry Moore who struck the decisive blow in the 20th minute, turning and firing home from 20 yards – keeper Stuart Horne never saw the ball until it hit the back of the net. A bruising encounter, but a valuable three points.

Barry Moore is currently Asst Manager at Carshalton Athletic

The Old Historian
Lord Elpus

Ahh great times. Some of the best players during my time of being a supporter are in that lineup. I'd count Russell, Powell, Burton, Cheshire, and Moore as contenders for any all time 11 although even if in just 25 years the game has changed a lot. How Barry Moore never made it to full time league football I'll never know, and Burton was one of the best defenders at our level, although his height (and his job) might have had an impact on him staying in non-league. Russell was outstanding as a young keeper and we all know the career Powell went on to have but Cheshire was such an underrated player for us. He made so many appearances for a very good reason-he was very good at his game.
Jamie

I remember a home game where Darren Powell has his shirt ripped off him too!
Some great names in this team as mentioned by Lord Elpus.

Do you remember the clever free kick routine that Ian Savage pulled off a few times?

Not to mention "Junior Harvey" going on the be MC Harvey is So Solid Crew haha