Tonbridge on Tuesday.

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Shepperton Supporter

Think Tony has said it . This game we should have got a point. The penalty curse is getting into all the players minds. For all our pressure we don’t look that likely to score. Tonbridge are a big team and played to their strengths.
tones

Does no one on the team practice at taking penalties!
Tony

The irony/frustration is that they do practice them. I am told that Dan Wishart was putting 80% of his penalties into the top right corner in training but for some reason went low left yesterday. I can only guess that the pressure having to do this in a game situation is the cause. I note that Mel said he was going to step in and coach the designated penalty taker so hopefully that might help.
Shepperton Supporter

I just wonder how many points have we lost this season through missed penalties. I appreciate that if they were scored the outcome might have been different. However the late penalty last night would almost certainly have got us a deserved point. No use crying over spilt milk!
Must say we felt somewhat deflated last night as did others, let’s hope everyone’s mood will lift soon !
Last edited by Shepperton Supporter on Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Elpus

You can't win them all, and every season has at least one game like that. Trouble is, we've lost too many like that this season without playing anywhere near as well as we did last night. Mel's coaching is already clearly making a difference but our season and our position may unfortunately end up being defined by how bad results were before his arrival.
tones

Tony said Hampton should be aiming for 50 points to ensure their safety. The way they are playing at the moment they'll be lucky to even get 40!
Shepperton Supporter

Think we can all see improvement and that is good. Problem is we are running out of games, some teams around us are starting to put results together . If you look at last nights performance , the defence is starting to look better Fernandez and Wishart have helped, midfield is ok, I am sure a defensive player would be on many wish lists. Up front we still lack menace and are very low in numbers. Mel knows but remedies this season are difficult.
If we can survive, then recruitment in the summer will be the yardstick on Mel and his contract book.
Tony

Just seen Clifton’s penalty on twitter and got to say it was a pretty easy save for the keeper, pretty much straight at him.

We are playing much better under Mel but goals still seem hard to come by. To give up the opportunity of two penalties is very hard to stomach.
BevereeMaster

Shepperton Supporter wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:32 am Think we can all see improvement and that is good. Problem is we are running out of games, some teams around us are starting to put results together . If you look at last nights performance , the defence is starting to look better Fernandez and Wishart have helped, midfield is ok, I am sure a defensive player would be on many wish lists. Up front we still lack menace and are very low in numbers. Mel knows but remedies this season are difficult.
If we can survive, then recruitment in the summer will be the yardstick on Mel and his contract book.
We have Fisher, Rowe, Barzey, Clifton, Kurran and Donaldson who played LW majority of his time under Gary, that is a lot of attackers.
Jamie

No one complaining about Dulwich having their goal ruled out for offside at the weekend, that from the video looked well onside.
So perhaps got a bonus 2 points there we shouldn't have.
Lord Elpus

Tony wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:41 am Just seen Clifton’s penalty on twitter and got to say it was a pretty easy save for the keeper, pretty much straight at him.

We are playing much better under Mel but goals still seem hard to come by. To give up the opportunity of two penalties is very hard to stomach.
He definitely looked a bit unsure in the moments before he took it. But then that was following the Tonbridge Keeper doing as much quick damage to the penalty spot as he could, for which he was rightly booked. Disgraceful behaviour. Yes, our penalty misses were pretty bad but their world-class gamesmanship in the build ups to the pens being taken really seemed to work.
Josh2002