Manager appointment

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Tony

Just seen this. Far from being an obvious choice and first managerial appointment at age 58 if I Google correctly. Clear Tisdale influence as he was at Exeter, Mk Dons Bristol Rovers and Stevenage with Tisdale.
Whoryer

Was just about to put the same Tony, never heard of him but Tisdale clearly knows him very well having him as a coach at 4 different clubs.Seems a bit late to become a manager for the first time,but fingers crossed he can get us some better players especially a goalscorer or 2 to help keep us up. Liam Vincent leaving definitely won't help
Tony

From the announcement he clearly has a wider role which might be full time. Also sounds a bit like his role at Bristol Rovers. That’s all for the future. The big question is he capable of getting us out of our current position? With Vincent departing we are going to need bodies pretty quickly. Expect a few spare lads from Barnet may find their way here. Fun fact he is also like Gary McCann an former goalkeeper.
Shepperton Supporter

Was aware of his connection with Paul Tisdale. Paul has been used as a consultant by the new owners so this should not be of a great surprise! Time will tell if this is a good appointment, certainly not one of the bookies favourites!
Wonder if Paul Tisdale will continue to act in some capacity?
Think most of us would hope he has some contacts!
Lord Elpus

Well I'm guessing none of us saw that one coming. It does seem like a slightly risky appointment to me, as others have said surely we need someone who knows the division inside out and who knows good players we can afford. All the liaising with the academy stuff and bringing players through is a nice idea but we need to ensure survival this year, that in itself is an immediate project, not a long term one.
On the positive side, he can obviously coach and has some credibility in that area.
Tony

Coaching is one thing but does he have the contacts to attract the right sort of player at our level? Ian MacDonald came in as a highly rated coach but all his player contacts were out of our league and budget. I guess the new man has been given some additional budget to play with.
Lord Elpus

Tony wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:44 pm Coaching is one thing but does he have the contacts to attract the right sort of player at our level? Ian MacDonald came in as a highly rated coach but all his player contacts were out of our league and budget. I guess the new man has been given some additional budget to play with.
The appointment of Ian McDonald was the situation that immediately sprang to mind for me as well. I actually ended up feeling sorry for him! Things have changed a lot since then, like it or not we have the extensive use of the loan system now (personally I'd try to completely avoid it, or at least limit it) but yes, I hope he has more budget to play with than Gary did.
HamptonMad

Not impressed. And we still have Bates for the next 2 home games. Is Gwinnett suspended. The sooner he starts the better.
Shepperton Supporter

Think most of us are coming to terms with this appointment. Our thinking would be along the lines of the Slough managers who we know and they know the league.
From our experience there is the spectre of previous appointments and so there is worry.
As has been stated, we have little option but to trust our new owners and their judgment. If they have made an inspiring choice we will be happy. Let’s give the new man and regime support, it will be interesting to see how our recruitment goes, there are lots of holes to fill. I do feel that the club are edging towards full time status, so assume that is incorporated into future planning?
Shepperton Supporter

Just wonder if he might bring over some players from Barnet, Kabamba and Diarra would be nice!?