Club statement

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Tony

Go back and read my post, I said nothing about the Slough ex managers not wanting a limited budget. If all we can offer them is the same budget they had at Slough that would be different but I suspect Slough’s budget was well below ours. Can’t see them or many others taking the job with a budget that would almost certainly see us relegated.

I have no idea who might come forward but assuming no major extra funding I would go for Baker and Underwood.
GRTourist

*Edited because it's been pointed out to me that I was incorrect on what I'd said about Gav MacPherson. Whilst he is a Met Police officer there isn't any linkage between that and the club - he isn't afforded any flexibility by the Police, so it doesn't really impact.*
Last edited by GRTourist on Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Rich

I see Batesy is in charge for now. 'Don't Panic Captain Mainwaring'.
Shepperton Supporter

I would think our new owners had it in mind to replace Gary unless there was a dramatic reversal of results. It might not have just been the injuries that was their decision, but the poor recruitment in the summer that they felt they could not trust him if they increased the budget.
It will depend on who is appointed, but they may well demand a certain level of budget and future assurances as to ongoing future financial commitments. Good managers want this to ensure continuation of their reputation.
Can’t see the managers seat being empty very long.
Shepperton Supporter

I note Slough are giving out longer contact to a promising young player , do they fear a raid by ex managers?
HamptonMad

Underwood and Baker said they will only come if they can have The Club car.
BevereeMaster

Underwood and Baker seems really underwhelming, Gary part 2 done well in Covid seasons and struggled since, look where they left Slough who had some very good players. Not top of my life the more I think about it
Rob Overfield

BevereeMaster wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:05 pm Underwood and Baker seems really underwhelming, Gary part 2 done well in Covid seasons and struggled since, look where they left Slough who had some very good players. Not top of my life the more I think about it
They had Slough promoted out of the Southern League 1 Midland into the National League South in just 6 seasons. They know how to be successful on a limited budget. There’s a lot worse out there…
Lord Elpus

I'd like to think that, although the ex Slough pair could be seen as being a safe pair of hands, we might be a little more imaginative in our scope. You could argue that despite their then lack of a ground, a club like Slough were too big for the lower level they were at anyway. I've never been over impressed with the sides of theirs that we've faced (even if we have struggled to beat them recently) although they do seem to be capable of attracting some decent individual players. Perhaps with a bit more backing they might do better...as has been said, budget will play a huge part.
Shepperton Supporter

Assuming there will be no appointment this week, it would be very interesting to see if there are some ex managers watching the game at Hemel. I am sure interested parties would take the opportunity to see what they could be potentially be taking over?
Tony

To put a bit of perspective on their record, in their four seasons in the NLS, Slough finished 11th, 5th, 20th and 13th ( us 15th, 8th, 6th, 11th), although the middle two were the C19 affected seasons so not fair to make comparisons either way. They also reached FA Cup 2nd round proper twice. We have not gone beyond the 1st Round. It is difficult to know the relative budgets over those seasons but it has been the case that their budgets have been cut in recent times as Slough struggled to find new investors. See Slough's recent announcements about their financial issues and you will understand why we could easily have found ourselves in the same position.

I doubt their budgets were larger than ours across the 4 year period. Are they capable of taking us up a level it is hard to say but if that is where we want to go we will need a significant increase in the playing budget whoever we bring in. Let's just hope it's not Steve King.
HamptonMad

Underwood and Baker were tipped to get The Bracknell Town managers job in November But got turned down. Both are former Bracknell players. Anyway they would not be my choice. Maxwell for me.