Club statement

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
TW3 Beaver

Hopefully the board have someone in mind already, as this has been coming for some time.
Lord Elpus

Just seen this on Twitter. Probably no surprise given the present situation but let's not forget Gary steered the club through the difficult Covid period and did reasonably well for us in the FA Cup. He was very much the right person to appoint at the time and hopefully he'll be back somewhere else very soon.
Josh2002

no surprise at all, but i wish him all the best and thank him for what he has done over the last four years.
Big Rich

Yes, thanks very much to Gary for all his efforts over the past few years. Not an easy job and he did it pretty well in my opinion.
Tony

I think a change was the right move particularly with new owners now in place. If you are going to spend more on the team to get out of the hole we are in, do you back the existing manager or your own man? Much will depend on who the new recruit is, a well known and proven manager or someone with similar or lesser experience. I hope that there is someone already lined up or a very short list so that we can get some forward momentum going. Gary can argue, and probably will, that if he had more money he could have got us back up the table but the deterioration in performances and some poor recruitment over the last couple of seasons suggests that a new approach is needed.
Rob Overfield

Gary’s final record:
192 matches, 76 wins, 33 draws and 83 defeats, win % of 39.6%

For comparison
Mark Harper
P98/W33/D27/L38/33.7%

Paul Barry/Darren Powell
P79/W33/D15/L31/41.8%

Alan Dowson
P211/W101/D54/L56/47.9%
Last edited by Rob Overfield on Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shepperton Supporter

Sad to see Gary go but not surprised , as has been pointed out in recent months, the team has deteriorated and the summer recruitment was poor. I am sure Gary will pick up a new job possibly at a step lower.
As for his replacement, it is most likely that our new owners have something in mind, it will be an important decision as it will shape the future of the club and define the new regime’s commitment to the club.
No doubt these pages will soon be filled with candidates, although I would be surprised if appointments are not long in coming.
Watch this space!
Stanwell Beaver

Personally, very sad to read the news....but, maybe not altogether surprised. I have so much time for Gary - a top, top bloke. Wish him all the very best.
But now we move on....who's next? My first suggestion might be the Underwood/Baker team recently departed from Slough Town? But, I'm sure there'll be plenty of interest. Gavin Rose, Mark Jones....both recently out of work from our League. Interesting times.
Shepperton Supporter

With regard to your suggestions, I think Rose has still connection at Dulwich. Don’t know much about Jones but he has just been sacked for poor results. As for the Slough pair they left because of budget cuts. Would be very interesting if they came as they were unsuccessful candidates years ago before Powell and Barry appointment.
We wait and see, would not be surprised if an appointment comes quickly. Our new owners have been around for some time and know what makes us tick.
HamptonMad

Really sad to hear the news. Thanks Gary for all you have done at Hampton. And good luck in the future. To be honest i really fear we could go down, now that the club has sacked Gary.
TW3 Beaver

HamptonMad wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:09 pm Really sad to hear the news. Thanks Gary for all you have done at Hampton. And good luck in the future. To be honest i really fear we could go down, now that the club has sacked Gary.
And you don't think we were going down already?