Club statement

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Tony

Can’t see either Rose or Jones being the right decision given their recent record. You would be pretty brave to appoint someone who just has been sacked for a run of poor results. I have a lot of time for Baker and Underwood who did a great job at Slough on limited resources. We really need someone who can bring in a few reliable players who can freshen things up quickly and move on the under-performers of which we have rather too many. Doubt we have any room for an experiment.
BevereeMaster

Bring me Ryan Maxwell
Shepperton Supporter

Currently we were in a poor run and it would only have needed an upturn in results from clubs around us and we would be looking at relegation. By acting now it gives the new manager time to stabilise things, perhaps start to plan for the next campaign, helped perhaps being given a slightly increased budget?
From yesterday we saw for the first time our new owners in action and personally was impressed. If this is the way ahead we might be happy and looking forward to a successful future. The background of the new owners does suggest they have come with a planned project in mind. Time will tell.
Picking up Tony’s point on managers the Baker/Underwood combination are immediately available and have a good record on managing on a reasonable budget. It might be there are other candidates in the picture, don’t think we will be long before we hear.
Tony

I don’t know a lot about Ryan Maxwell but a 30.2% win ratio at Braintree doesn’t sound too impressive. A lot of similar criticism to Gary McCann, high turnover of players and long ball tactics, inconsistent performances. He was working with a small budget and kept Braintree up so maybe something there if we don’t have the funds.
BevereeMaster

Think he struggled at first but then was top half consistently in the form guide, get him in until end of season then assess so the rebuild can start from the beginning of a season imo.
TW10

Braintree were strong and effective against us but awful to watch..Maxwell is another smash it long and feed on the scraps. Would be nice to get a manager in who tries to play a bit
Lord Elpus

I'm really hoping the new owners have taken some advice on who they go for. It has to be someone who knows non-league, because a big name marquee type appointment might not be the right fit. I'd be happy with someone ambitious yes, but they have to know the division and also play decent football. Not interested in someone who's coming to learn the ropes.
Rob Overfield

Lord Elpus wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:29 pm I'm really hoping the new owners have taken some advice on who they go for. It has to be someone who knows non-league, because a big name marquee type appointment might not be the right fit. I'd be happy with someone ambitious yes, but they have to know the division and also play decent football. Not interested in someone who's coming to learn the ropes.
Apparently Paul Tisdale was at the game yesterday… if true, I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s the consultant that new owners are using for advice.
BevereeMaster

Someone whose contact list goes deep, in the leagues below and above, need someone who when needed can pull out top class loans and hidden gems just like Dowse did with players like Jamal, Kabamba then loanees like Dieng, Baptiste and Kiernan who ended up permanent
Rob Overfield

TW10 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:58 pm Braintree were strong and effective against us but awful to watch..Maxwell is another smash it long and feed on the scraps. Would be nice to get a manager in who tries to play a bit
I agree with this. Maxwell wouldn’t suit us.
Shepperton Supporter

Apparently Paul Tisdale was at the game yesterday… if true, I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s the consultant that new owners are using for advice.
[/quote]
If you are correct that would make sense, they may well have someone of his experience as consultant.
Might be involved in the selection process. Think he lives in the west county so might not be a manager contender although could step up as interim? Apart from a success at Team Bath most of his managerial experience has been higher up the football pyramid. Good coaching reputation.
Tony

Tisdale did great things at Exeter over a long spell but more chequered once he moved on. Should have decent knowledge of the potential candidates. If not he’s not much of an advisor!