Worthing - Home NYD

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Tony

It does sometime feel like ‘had we scored more goals than them we would have won.’
Lord Elpus

Not a great start to the new year, more of the same and similar excuses at the end. Nice to see a good crowd in but I suspect that was more because there were no other local games on today. I'm afraid it's starting to look like we've run out of ideas...how patient the new regime will turn out to be is anyone's guess.
tones

New Year should be a time for a new start.How long do we keep saying in Gary we trust!
Josh2002

what i've been thinking for a long time now.
Mucky knees

Tony wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:48 pm It does sometime feel like ‘had we scored more goals than them we would have won.’
Leicester City scored three more goals than Liverpool last Friday evening and still lost!

MK
TW3 Beaver

I'm beginning to think I'm a bad luck omen, as the few games I've been to have been very poor, but reading the comments above this seems to be a regular occurance.
TW2-Beaver
Site Admin

A few observations, starting with off the pitch matters... I think a good atmosphere was created today with the band, outside seating in the car park and our new owners handing out the mince pies/mulled wine. Plus kids having a kick about on the pitch at half time... Good to see we are working on making it a fan experience. I don't know to what extent that is the influence of the new guys but if so, good job. They were both dressed impeccably as well, which I like to see from the board. The queues are still an issue. Our local MP turned up for the photo-op sorry I mean the football. Our efforts were rewarded with a four figure crowd. The pitch was shocking.. not seen that much sand on it since the early 2000s when it was a regular thing...

On the pitch... we just never looked like doing anything in the final third. I think Shokunbi was a lazy piece of work today. I get that he was a target man without any service but at times like this you need to muck in and help, not just play Van Nistelrooy and give up when the ball doesn't fall at your feet. I couldn't believe he was going round high fiving everyone in the main stand before a result was even secured and some of the yes-men/hipster element were applauding him! (he then decided to walk past the 'knob end' looking for more recognition and was met with the silence he deserved). I heard supporters in my part of the ground who were willing Worthing on to get a winner just to accelerate personnel changes... which is sad but shows where we are. You would think that Hemel and Weymouth represent the best hope of further points this month so fingers crossed for next weekend.
HamptonMad

A good start to 2023 a clean sheet.
TW3 Beaver

HamptonMad wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:14 pm A good start to 2023 a clean sheet.
Probably the only good thing about today's game.
shaunden

Thought our defence played well and in the first half we had more good chances, especially another missed penalty. 2nd half we were certainly second best,they were fitter,better organised agree about Shokundi ,although just come back from injury.We all know we are weak up front, missed illic today. As HM said a good clean sheet against a play off team.
Keep plugging away Gary
Shepperton Supporter

Think much has already been covered. The pitch was not great, but it was the same for both teams. We are woefully short of strikers, Wood is clearly carrying an injury but did make a marginal difference when he came on. Worthing had most of the play and at times we carried little threat into their half. The defence held out well for the point, even if at times it was a bit last ditch . We missed a penalty yet again.
From his remarks Gary hopes to get players fit which may help, but to my way of thinking, the balance is wrong too many defenders, midfield and precious few strikers. Looks like this might be the pattern for the rest of the season unless the new owners introduce some structural changes.
Full marks to the new board with some very welcome gestures that were much appreciated. Good crowd too, pity our football might not encourage returns.