What happens next?

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Tony

With Xmas almost upon us and still more than half the league games to play, the club stands at a potential turning point in its history with new owners and an ambitious plan to improve the club all round. However, on the pitch it is hard to escape the feeling that the season is already over apart from making sure we survive in the NLS. There is nothing like an unexpected and unwanted relegation to throw a shiny new plan off course from the off so the top priority must be to start climbing back up the table and soon. How much time and investment will the new owners give Gary McCann to show he is the man to back for the future? Undoubtedly Gary has had a tough time with a raft of longer term injuries to key players so he may be cut some slack for what has been a worryingly inconsistent set of results and performances so far this season. The team at times has been a patchwork of the fit, walking wounded, loanees and Academy bench fillers just to get through the fixtures at hand. There is no sense that we are building a squad that will take us into next season with a hope of challenging for honours. We had to rebuild the squad this time last year post the Plymouth Parkway debacle and now we have to do it again. But recruiting for the long term mid season is not an easy task unless there is a lot of money to throw at the problem. Gary really needs to get a tune out of the squad he has now and supplement with a couple of loanees rather than the over dependence on loans that has been a feature of the season so far - although most of the loans have been successful in playing terms. It’s just that it is hard for the fans to see the future if a third of the squad walks out the door at the end of the season. The new owners may need to divert some investment into the squad as a priority but will results overtake plans?

The lack of recent games should see a few key names back fit and available for the holiday double header v Worthing. With just one win in the last six league fixtures, a couple of defeats could test the nerves of the new regime. Is there a plan B button and if so when do you press it? A couple of decent results and no doubt the dice will be rolled again.

If you are going to change manager there is no point leaving it too long despite plenty of games still to play. Any new regime needs time to make the changes they see fit. Hopefully Gary can steady the ship in the short term but as Napoleon said, I need lucky Generals and luck has been in short supply this season.
Adam

Interesting article about a potential loan signing a few weeks ago. Apparently we were going to sign him and then didn’t. The takeover was mentioned as one reason why it didn’t go through.

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/foot ... or-3933937
Tony

I guess that position now filled by Amartey.
Shepperton Supporter

A fair summary Tony.
From what I read and understand our new owners will not tolerate a relegation in their first season. The next few games may well decide how the manager situation will play out.
As Tony stated .
There are a few key issues.
1- The fitness of players and their return to form.
2- The results over the next few games
3- The availability of any suitable managers.
Big decisions in next few weeks.
TW2-Beaver
Site Admin

If there's an ambitious new plan I am yet to see it. All I've seen is a PowerPoint presentation that the under 12s could have put together in half an hour and a news article full of meaningless corporate speak with zero detail.

I suspect for the rest of the season the owners will be figuring out how it all works and realising how many people are involved in the running of the club; and on the pitch we'll be plugging away to 45/50 points and staying up. There are easily four worse teams than us in the division. It's not much fun, but it could be worse.
tones

The way Hampton are playing at the moment I wouldn't rely on 4 teams still being worse than us in the coming weeks!
HamptonMad

Dont Panic. We will get 40pts and stay up. And if we sack Gary who we going to get. Harper &Number 2.
Shepperton Supporter

HamptonMad wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:41 pm Dont Panic. We will get 40pts and stay up. And if we sack Gary who we going to get. Harper &Number 2.
I don’t think so!

We would look for someone who has experience at our level and above . The choice will be vital to the club’s future progress.
However we are jumping the gun a bit, let’s give Gary all support to see if he can alter things around. We have had a considerable number of injuries which has hampered team selection.
Josh2002

HamptonMad wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:41 pm Dont Panic. We will get 40pts and stay up. And if we sack Gary who we going to get. Harper &Number 2.
You repeating the same thing all of the time won't help.
HamptonMad

Josh2002 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:03 pm
You repeating the same thing all of the time won't help.
Start The Club car Mr Barbel lets get Josh out of here.
Shepperton Supporter

Recent improvement in results by Weymouth and Cheshunt have seen our position look that less comfortable.
Whoryer

TW2-Beaver wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:12 pm If there's an ambitious new plan I am yet to see it. All I've seen is a PowerPoint presentation that the under 12s could have put together in half an hour and a news article full of meaningless corporate speak with zero detail.

I suspect for the rest of the season the owners will be figuring out how it all works and realising how many people are involved in the running of the club; and on the pitch we'll be plugging away to 45/50 points and staying up. There are easily four worse teams than us in the division. It's not much fun, but it could be worse.
Out of interest who are the four teams you think are easily worse than us.Until recently I would've said Weymouth and Cheshunt but in the last month they have both improved.Hungerford on current form look doomed but can't think of anyone else.I know we've had alot of injuries,but we have struggled to score goals all season.Hope the injured players are all back soon and we can start picking up points again soon,but on current form with 4 going down its going to be a long 2nd half of the season