Dover Home Saturday

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Jamie

tones wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:10 pm A team that can't defend and can't score is going nowhere but down! Who is going to stop the rot. Manager. Players. Directors. Unfortunately the fans don't have a say in the matter.

Well actually fans DO have a say, via the Supporters Trust, and having a large shareholding.
Unfortunately recently the proposals have seen this be voted to give any say whatsoever away.

What's the saying about you never realise what you have until it's gone?
BevereeMaster

Rather have a club whose fans have slightly less say than before than have a club playing games at Hatherope park in-front of the players parents and having the starting 11 pay for subs to cover the referee :\
TW2-Beaver
Site Admin

BevereeMaster wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:43 pm Rather have a club whose fans have slightly less say than before than have a club playing games at Hatherope park in-front of the players parents and having the starting 11 pay for subs to cover the referee :\
That comment is so far off reality as to be ridiculous. We were dealing with a smallish operating shortfall (which frankly could have been largely corrected if the club took some fairly basic steps in terms of marketing events properly). Also, to be clear it's not "slightly less of a say" - it's zero say, that much has been made clear. I wish our new owners well and really hope they are good guys.
Jamie

BevereeMaster wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:43 pm Rather have a club whose fans have slightly less say than before than have a club playing games at Hatherope park in-front of the players parents and having the starting 11 pay for subs to cover the referee :\
That's a beyond bizarre statement.
Clubs should operate within their means, if it means HRBFC have to find their natural level at step 3 or even step 4 then so be it.
Newer supporters may not realise that the clubs status at this level is relatively new. The past 20 odd years have been remarkable, but too many clubs are dreaming of pushing for step 1 and then over stretch and disappear.

There is fantastic football at step 3 and 4, and if Hampton were to be there, but be stable, there is no issue with that, nor should it be seen as a negative. To say playing at Hatherope Park is ridiculous.

I took wish the new owners well. I hope they make a great success of the club, but I just cannot fathom why there is a fear of having a supporters trust involved with a decent voice. It's not like fans will vote or protest against improving the club, but it does provide some sort of safety net if things go wrong, or the investors lose interest.
Lord Elpus

Isn't it probably the case though that all the people involved in the Supporters Trust, and a few others probably, might quickly reconvene if ever they were needed in the future? It might well come to that, but I would think there'll be enough die hards to rally round.
HamptonMad

Lord Elpus wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:56 pm Isn't it probably the case though that all the people involved in the Supporters Trust, and a few others probably, might quickly reconvene if ever they were needed in the future? It might well come to that, but I would think there'll be enough die hards to rally round.
Yes Brother. Bring The Suppporters Trust back on the board. Lets start a protest. They will be wanting The Club Car next. And its still got Dowsons practice balls in the boot.
Rob Overfield

I have always held the opinion that in the modern era, football clubs are better accountable to their supporters if some form of supporter representation is added to the board, for oversight and accountability.

It is an opinion I have held right back to the days when I was part of, and then on the committee of, one of the first Supporters Trust type bodies, the Tigers Co-Operative at Hull City (second to be formed after the Northampton Town Supporters Trust).

The situation at Hull City at the time was bad off the field, with the whole David Lloyd scenario much in play with the very future of the club being uncertain, as the club descended into administration for the second time, before Adam Pearson stepped in and resurrected the club.

We have seen too many times what can happen to football clubs when the decision making and control is vested in a group of people not necessarily with any close connection to the club.

The Beavers have been in a worse situation before though, the club itself was within weeks, if not days, of being wound up in the mid-2000 (sometime around 2005/6/7) after the club had been run as part of a separate umbrella of companies, the MKM Group, which left it vulnerable as the parent company ran out of funds .

It took an 11th hour intervention by former chairman Steve McPherson to rescue the club and put it on an even keel (ask Chris Hurst about those times), eventually setting up the platform for Alan Dowson to get the club promoted.

Its seems to me that the Supporters Trust members have effectively been happy with the promise of imminent sizeable investment, without taking into account the fact that the new owners will allow no oversight of the clubs affairs by the supporters, although they may well allow the trust to be ‘observers’ with no say whatsoever.

That’s where the club’s at. I hope the new owners do take the club forward and bring in some sizeable investment to bring some stability off the field, but I can’t help being concerned.
Tony

You could even read about it in Vol2. Of the club history.
Big Rich

HamptonMad wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:26 pm
Lord Elpus wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:56 pm Isn't it probably the case though that all the people involved in the Supporters Trust, and a few others probably, might quickly reconvene if ever they were needed in the future? It might well come to that, but I would think there'll be enough die hards to rally round.
Yes Brother. Bring The Suppporters Trust back on the board. Lets start a protest. They will be wanting The Club Car next. And its still got Dowsons practice balls in the boot.
Amen 🙏 brother.
Big Rich

Tony wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:37 am You could even read about it in Vol2. Of the club history.
Which is a great book!