Dartford preview

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Lord Elpus

It's very clear that we haven't been helped by injuries to key players such as Julian, Inman and Fernandes, but some of the other players recruited in the summer don't seem to be able to make the required impression. It is looking somewhat concerning at the moment but I think caution would be advised for a while yet. If we go out of the FA Cup to lower league opposition next week (and fors what it's worth, I don't think we will) then any concerns are only going to increase but I'd say let's see where we are in another month. That (hopefully) gives the key players time to return from injury and could see us look more settled.
A big concern for the club hierarchy might be falling crowds. The Chippenham attendance was lower than might have been expected (OK we scraped a win) and quite a few familiar faces don't seem around as much. People want to see a winning side. Anything else, extra bars, good food, matchday experience etc is all peripheral if we aren't performing and can't string together a few wins.
TW2-Beaver
Site Admin

Lord Elpus wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:40 amA big concern for the club hierarchy might be falling crowds. The Chippenham attendance was lower than might have been expected (OK we scraped a win) and quite a few familiar faces don't seem around as much.
I was thinking the same thing, some poor crowds this season. I think we need to do something during November/December while the World Cup is on to entice fans of professional teams.
Tony

We’ve had four home games at an average of 431 which isn’t great but two of those were Tuesday nights with visits from Bath and Chippenham which were not likely to bring many away fans. But coming off a disappointing 21/22 season and now struggling for points this season I am not that surprised. Success on the pitch always drives up attendances.

Despite the injuries, our loan players have been pretty good in my view. But we know they will only be with us short term. Bigger issues with some of the summer recruits who have been a mixed bag. I suspect we will see more turnover in players as the manager tries to find the right formula but as last season we risk running into the fact that the better players are tied down by their clubs.
Lord Elpus

I think some of the thing about the lower attendances started last season when some of the football on display was truly awful, especially at the turn of the year.
HamptonMad

We are fine finish mid table. We can't afford to get promotion on gates of 500. This is our level.We will go bust and have to sell The Club Car to Dowson if we go up.
Lord Elpus

I don't neccesarily disagree with any of that at all HM but it would be nice to have a few wins in a row occasionally and some exciting football to watch. Gary hasn't had a lot of luck this season but sometimes you need to start making your own.
Tony

Their second goal didn't come from giving the ball away, just a long hoof ball which we didn't defend too well, missing the first header.