Dartford preview

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Tony

It’s a function of the inflation in wages causing clubs to reduce their squad sizes. Loan deals mean you can get a supposedly higher rated player cheaper than you would otherwise pay in the market. Most deals involve the loaning club covering most of the wages providing their player plays. If not the loanee club pays more of the wages. There is benefit for both clubs but it does transform the experience for fans who like to see familiar faces week in and week out to identify a group of players as “our” team. It also makes the game much more short term in the sense that you are almost trying to get through the next couple of games for a result and long term planning is much more difficult. Would things be better if there was no loan system or limited to say just one or two at any time? Quite possibly we will start today with four loanees.
Lord Elpus

I'm pretty sure there used to be a maximum number of loans you could have in one season. Nowadays it's got completely ridiculous. I'd suggest a maximum of 4 loans in one season plus permission to have one "emergency" loan, which any sensible club would save for any goalkeeping crisis.
I should add that I've nothing against any of the players that we keep getting in on loan...we've seen some very good ones and some very innefectual ones, but as Tony says it just encourages short term thinking. Is it the same in the Isthmian League these days or are squads more settled there, as bigger clubs see that league as a step down too far?
HamptonMad

0.0 half time.
HamptonMad

Dartford 1 Hampton 0. Sheringham. 63rd min.
HamptonMad

Dartford 2 Hampton 1.Gray/ Sheringham 1. Thats it Mr Barbel start The Club Car let's get out of here.The End.
Last edited by HamptonMad on Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Big Rich

Ouch. Difficult one to take that loss.
Big Rich

Big Rich wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:39 pm Ouch. Difficult one to take that loss.
2-1 ☹️
Lord Elpus

Very frustrating indeed. We matched what was a very ordinary Dartford side indeed for the first half but gave the ball away for both of their goals. A well taken if somewhat out of the blue goal from Gray gave us a brief bit of optimism but you simply can't give the ball away so easily with a striker like Sherringham close by, even if he had only been on the pitch for a short time.
The latest loanee, from Bromley, is clearly a neat player but he wasn't able to either impose himself or be brought into the game by others.
Best thing about the afternoon? Somehow got home in under an hour...
Tony

Agree with your assessment and Gary’s post match comments. We were the better side second half but didn’t create enough good chances then spoilt it with another two soft goals conceded. We really should have forced home our advantage when we were on top. Wood still doesn’t do enough in the box for me, Shokunbi another quiet game. New lad did well enough until he was caught in possession for their first goal, new keeper made some very good saves first half and is pretty sound. Dartford pretty ordinary.
Shepperton Supporter

From his post match comments Gary now says the same thing after every match. There must come a time where changes need to be made ?
Lord Elpus

Shepperton Supporter wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:39 pm From his post match comments Gary now says the same thing after every match. There must come a time where changes need to be made ?
Well we're doing the same thing nearly every match...
DanielNotley

Shepperton Supporter wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:39 pm From his post match comments Gary now says the same thing after every match. There must come a time where changes need to be made ?
I totally agree with you, a few seasons ago everyone was optimistic about going into the playoffs and now we are talking about relegation, where is the optimism gone?!!!

Furthermore how many loan signings we are going to have this season, the season is very young and where is our settled squad?

As I said before if you keep on chopping and changing the squad at this time of the season you never got the recruitment right in preseason and are out of your depth and will never have a settled team!

Personally where does Gary sees the club, what’s his expectations for the season? (Last season was to challenge 😂😂 but look what happened), now what.......?

Things need to change now otherwise where would you like to see Hampton be at the end of the season, through the trap door???