First friendly of the season.

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Shepperton Supporter

Will be interesting to see who plays. Most of us will be very interested in the new signings as well as the trialists. Let’s hope we see grounds for optimism.
Lord Elpus

It might depend how hot it is tomorrow...might see some players wilting in the heat, which is understandable at this time of year.
Tony

I expect players to be a bit rusty but looking to see who has good technique and who can read the game well.
TW2-Beaver
Site Admin

Am on holiday so any write up/info would be hugely appreciated :D
Shepperton Supporter

I can’t make it either so as much details as possible would be appreciated.
Tony

I will post some notes later today. There may be some trialists that the club want to keep under wraps so you'll have to respect that.I guess this game will be more about fitness than how we play given so many new players to accommodate and get used to each other.
Shepperton Supporter

Tony wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:32 am I will post some notes later today. There may be some trialists that the club want to keep under wraps so you'll have to respect that.I guess this game will be more about fitness than how we play given so many new players to accommodate and get used to each other.
Looking forward to your usual balanced and objective report!
ExRef

Excellent commentary on Radio Beaver. Thanks guys. Pity we couldn’t hold out for the win. Several “new” players seemed to stand out. More on Tuesday.
Lord Elpus

1-1, Barzey with a well taken strike for us.Typical first friendly type of game, so difficult to tell much from these games in such heat, but we played the usual pre-season method of multiple changes. Second half we looked slightly pacier I thought, and a bit more purposeful, but some decent players on display in both halves alongside others who made very little impression. Standout performers from the new guys included Wood, Illic and Shokunbi. Food for thought for the manager I would think. Overall I thought we would have deserved to win over the 90, a draw flatterred them a bit. Looking forward to seeing the team gel.
Tony

We played to separate XIs in each 45 with a mix of signed players and trialists. Competitive game but mainly fought in midfield with few clear chances to either side. Signed players did OK without anything too outstanding to report. Second half was more attacking with Ilic having a couple of long range efforts. Barzey finally opened the scoring with a well taken shot after having been played through by trialist Thompson-Prempeh. Hayes equalised with a tap in with the last kick of the game. Gary's post match comments felt about right, good in places but not much in the final third.Wood played as target man and clearly has the physical attributes that we lacked last season but we will need back up.

Of the trialists we had: first half: Jack Morrell, left back, East Thurrock; Walter Figueira, left wing played in Ireland most recently but started out as a youth player at Hampton some many years ago; Second half: Tyrique Springer left back, North Greenford; Donte Thompson-Prempeh, CF Fleetwood U18s; Endurance Johnson, GK, Colchester Utd; Zak Fraser-Grante CM Academy.

Doubt all of these will be signed and no doubt Gary has a few others to look at in the next few friendlies. Main need is to secure some more goals, defence and midfield looks reasonably well covered.
Whoryer

Really impressed with the commentary, especially as he was by the pitch and not in the stand,and on his own
TW10

I though Hayes&Yeading were a good side and easily the better team in the first half. They moved the ball better than us and were more mobile and controlled possession without creating any clear cut chances. We looked disjointed and a team of strangers. Second half was was better with Barzey and Illic the stand out performers and i thought Whittingham was tidy. Obviously the heat and the unfamiliarity of the players made it difficult to assess who will be regulars this season.