Pre-Season

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Lord Elpus

I honestly don't think friendlies against football league academy or under 23 sides do attract new fans in, people wised up long ago to the fact that these games are hopeless as a spectacle. I only go to them out of habit and a desire to see who is trialling for us. The only thing that can really get new people in is success on the field. But offerring discounts to season ticket holders of Brentford, Fulham, Chelsea etc can work, even if it does irritate some regular fans.
That Alvechurch pricing strategy for kids is great though.
Tony

It’s always lead by success on the pitch and an attractive style of play. The club can and does come up with good marketing ideas and runs a good social media platform such that the profile of the club is relatively high for our position- all done on a voluntary basis, no paid staff. After that we have a good relationship with a sizeable affiliated youth team with noticeable numbers of youngsters attending matches. I know we have offered discounted entry to ST of local pro clubs in the past ( not sure what the take up has been) but has to be careful not to prejudice its own core ST support who could argue they are subsidising less committed supporters. In addition you need ensure watching a match is a pleasant experience which means ease of entry/ ticket purchase, efficient food and drink service, adequate toilets, good sight lines, good stewarding. The Beveree is probably best coping with up to 1,000-1,500. The club has enjoyed a number of successful seasons in the last 25 years but our highest average attendance has never got much beyond 650 ish and that sometimes distorted by away support from the likes of AFCW etc.
Jamie

It depends how you market pre season games against pro clubs. Putting XI at the end of the name doesn't help.
Just put the club name. Also reference previous line ups that have played against Hampton. Of course it isn't going to be the starting lineup for the first premier league game of the season, but they may put in a new signing who needs match fitness.
Example being when Hampton played Spurs several years ago. Harry Kane scored, Andros Townsend, Ryan Mason and others - I think there were actually 5 players who ended up becoming England internationals. Market the game as see the stars of the future.

I went to Stourbridge Vs Aston Villa last season in the county cup. Due to other 1st team and u23 games around the same date, Villa played a mostly u18 team, with a couple of older players.
The gate was well over 2000, it was packed. People didn't care it wasn't going to be the first team, and there was a big turn out from Villa fans too.

So personally, I think the Charlton and QPR games are a big coup for the club.
QPR have just appointed Steven Gerrards right hand man as manager, I expect him to have a lot of new signings, and also he will want to be looking at all the existing players. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a strong line up from them.
Shepperton Supporter

Does anyone know when pre season training starts?
Shepperton Supporter

Understand preseason training starts this week, might hear some player news soon?
Jamie

Last night saw some lowly non league teams get some decent income playing pro clubs.
Nice to see the pro clubs fielding very strong first team line ups (no concerns for "risking injury" like people have said above, saying clubs won't send first teams), none of these games advertised as "XI" either.

Dereham 0-4 Norwich City
Norwich just relegated from the Premier League, very strong lineup, with big money players.
No attendance online, but photos of game, it looks rammed on all sides of the ground

Haringey Borough 1-2 Leyton Orient

Hitchin Town 0-3 Luton Town
Step 3 versus team just missing out to get to Premier League
Luton played strong 1st team
Game sold out with pre ticket sales

I won't break down the others....

Melksham 1-6 Bristol Rovers
Parkgate 2-4 Rotherham United
Tiverton 2-1 Exeter City
Undy 0-7 Newport County
Bradford PA 0-2 Bradford City

Strong teams put out by the pro clubs, and bumper attendences.
I think proves that clubs WILL send decent players, and also that if promoted, you WILL get big attendances, with a bumper pay day.

So, maybe take the XI of the advertising of the Charlton and QPR games, promote the hell out of them, and get extra money into the club to help boost Gary's budget.
Lord Elpus

With the friendlies we've got, I will believe it when I see it. Most of those are clubs doing a VERY local non-league side a big favour. Brentford don't seem to bother with us any more, I would be amazed if we get the same from QPR and we definitely won't from Charlton.
Shepperton Supporter

Yesterday Havant played Portsmouth who sent their full first team in front of 3000 spectators.
GRTourist

I went to Plymouth Parkway vs Plymouth Argyle yesterday - 2,000 fans, Argyle brought on most of their first team in the second half. Parkway must have made an absolute killing on the match.
Lord Elpus

Yes it used to be great when Brentford used to bring a full first team squad to us. We used to get around a thousand or so for those games if memory serves...someone might be able to confirm.
Tony

They also wanted us to share the gate with them so not the money making enterprise you may think.
Tony

Charlton have announced they are sending their U23s for the friendly.