Retained list.

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Shepperton Supporter

That is basically every player who is not a loanee. I would personally like to see a more radical approach but budget will dictate who we can bring in.
[/quote]

Understand your comments Tony, it would be nice, but as you say, budget restrains might preclude it. What I would like to see is the recruiting of a couple of decent strikers and a central defender, These recruits plus the core players already mentioned might be the best we can hope for.
Hope for some good news soon?
Shepperton Supporter

Clubs in our league are starting to announce their retained list. Tonbridge have released several players including ex Hampton players Tom Beere and Adam Coombes.
Wonder when we will hear of ours?
Lord Elpus

I don't remember us ever actually doing it that way. It just seems to come out in dribs and drabs, and these days the first you might hear of departures is via the now traditional twitter messages with players leaving saying how much they've "enjoyed their time at the club but it's now time to move on" etc. Not sure why we seem to do it differently when it seems to be common practice elsewhere.
Tony

Also remember any player out of contract may decide to move elsewhere. Retained lists are really only Released lists, players that clubs don’t want to retain.
Shepperton Supporter

We all understand that we need a couple of strikers, but these come with a price tag. Jordon Young, whose goals this season have got his Chippenham into the playoffs was signed for a reported fee of £5k. This type of fee is not uncommon for quality strikers, so this would be the type of investment we would require to make an effective signing. This might explain why we have loans or take a punt on a player from a lower level.
Jamie

Shepperton Supporter wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:44 pm We all understand that we need a couple of strikers, but these come with a price tag. Jordon Young, whose goals this season have got his Chippenham into the playoffs was signed for a reported fee of £5k. This type of fee is not uncommon for quality strikers, so this would be the type of investment we would require to make an effective signing. This might explain why we have loans or take a punt on a player from a lower level.
I wonder if Hamptons record fee paid is still the £3000 for Matt Flitter, I mean that's 20 years ago now, which is crazy.

I wouldn't really want to see the club going down the route of paying fees for players, it's a risk in the pro game, but at this level it's crazy.
Imagine paying £20k for a player and it doesn't work out. I'd much rather the club be sustainable and invest it into improving the youth structure even further. As the only senior club in the Borough the catchment area is huge, just takes time to build links with pro clubs etc to make a system work.

Is it really worth stretching and taking risks financially to push for step 1 which could then break the club.
Tony

It’s only stretching if you can’t afford it. Clubs regularly pay signing on fees to secure players, just part of the financial package. However, I am not aware of any true transfer fees paid by the club in recent years. We have tended to go into the loan market.
Lord Elpus

Have we ever paid any other transfer fees other than for Peter Shodeinde in the early 80s and Matt Flitter about 20 years or so ago? Genuinely interested to know.
Shepperton Supporter

Thought we paid something for a forward from Bromley. Can’t remember his name, the old memory ain’t what it was!
Shepperton Supporter

Looking at other clubs news, there is little hard facts as perhaps it is too early. No doubt there are a lot of discussions going on at present.
Next season there are more league matches which might mean an enlarged squad. Gary did experiment with the formation switching between 3-5-2 and 4-4-2 , he therefore might be looking at players who can perform in either formation.
Shepperton Supporter

Julian and Inman have signed up for next season. Good news let’s hope for more soon.
Shepperton Supporter

Moussa Diarra has indicated he is leaving Woking.

Have a feeling there will more departures!