Hampton Goalscorers

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
ExRef

Great support from HRBFC fans at Dorking yesterday and, while we have a respectable “goals for” tall of 47, we don’t have an out-and-out goalscorer like Jeffers (St Albans 23) or Seager (Hungerford 22). Goals are spread around the team - Slew 6 (now gone of course), Farrell 5, Donaldson, Gray, Roberts, Robertson (all with 4 each). If he stays, Roberts might match Charlie Moone, Dave Tarpey, Jamal Lowe or even Chris Dickson (still scoring for Cray). Woja fink ?
TW3 Beaver

Better to have a number of players who can score, rather than having to rely on one.
Tony

Roberts has gone back to H&W. He’s still got a year of his contract to run so doubt we will see him back unless H &W put him on the transfer list and we do a deal.
Lord Elpus

I doubt we'd be able to afford him anyway. Shame, he's a very good player, but we're just not able to compete with the bigger clubs who have more financial clout. Quite honestly most supporters got used to that thought years ago but it's still a big factor in why most of the clubs at the top end of the table have the most experienced and consistent players.
Shepperton Supporter

Tony wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:41 pm Roberts has gone back to H&W. He’s still got a year of his contract to run so doubt we will see him back unless H &W put him on the transfer list and we do a deal.
Guessed he was on a two year deal. As for a deal with us, Havant have six strikers so it will be difficult for Doswell to keep them all happy. Unfortunately Roberts is one of the younger ones which might go against his release. Assume Gary will keep tabs on the situation.
Tony

Havant have invested quite a lot in signing Roberts so unless they feel he is not going to improve then I can’t see him being released. If he wants to leave, Havant are going to seek a transfer fee.
tones

Why don't Hampton develop their own players instead of using loans all the time. Surely their must be some forwards playing for teams associated with Hampton F C. Get someone like Charlie Moone and let him develop his skills with Hampton not with some other team we have to go cap in hand to to get a goalscorer.
Jamie

tones wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:10 pm Why don't Hampton develop their own players instead of using loans all the time. Surely their must be some forwards playing for teams associated with Hampton F C. Get someone like Charlie Moone and let him develop his skills with Hampton not with some other team we have to go cap in hand to to get a goalscorer.
Issue is, the jump between Academy (Education scheme) and step 2 football is huge.
Perhaps forming links with a local club like Hanworth Villa would be worthwhile like a feeder club.
They could blood younger players, and Hampton keeps tabs, whilst returning the favour with fringe players, or players coming back from injury being on dual registration.
TW10

Re Hanworth Villa, they have sam Merson tearing it up, probably playing 3 levels below where he should be..no idea why. I agree that very few players from the academy will bridge the gap..the gap is massive to conf south. Imran has done brilliantly but has taken a few years for him to reach this level and only after loaned out to Harrow..success, as ever its all down to recruitment and its not always only going for big established names..Barzey proves that. in fact if there was a player with us with the potential to step up, its probably him..though Inman and Julian could easily walk into a National league side tomorrow
Tony

Charlie Moone was at Reading ( I think) as a youngster and then Woking before joining us.

Academies at this level can develop players capable of stepping up. Look at Met Police with Ethan Chislett and Lucas Ness who have gone onto league clubs recently. However, the reality is that most players at this level have been in the pro system at some point. Even Ness was also briefly at Fulham. If we were a couple of leagues lower then there would be much more chance of producing players for the first team.
tones

I can't believe that Hampton have no system in place to bring on young players. I hope the directors have deep pockets if all we are going to do is pack the team with transfers and loan players.
GRTourist

tones wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:54 pm I can't believe that Hampton have no system in place to bring on young players. I hope the directors have deep pockets if all we are going to do is pack the team with transfers and loan players.
This season Pat Niznik, Jay Hines, Will Goddard, David Amate, Imran Uche, Nick Komey, Owen Walsh and Miles Croal have all been in a match day squad at some point. Niznik has made the bench for a number of league games, Uche has featured in c.75% of matches and will (hopefully!) be a key player next season, whilst Amate also made his league debut.

Uche and Amate have both had loans at Harrow, so there clearly is some pathway when players are good enough.

Ronan Hutchins was signed and is now on loan at Tring, Brandon Barzey was picked up from Hanworth Villa, given a loan at Chesham, and is now an important first team player, whilst Destiny Oladipo has been signed after release from Forest Green.

To suggest there isn't a system to try and bring in young players is not quite right.

As Jamie says, gap between Academy and Step Two is massive, hence why so many of our young players go out on loan, or even leave the club to get more experience (a la Imran, who played at Bedfont Sports and Northwood to build match time after finishing with the Academy).