Tonbridge here on Saturday.

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Shepperton Supporter

We entertain Tonbridge on Saturday. In our present form this may be a tricky game to get a point from. It will depend on team selection as to who is fit , might get news in a few days?
TW2-Beaver
Site Admin

Tonbridge beat Maidstone 1-0 in the Kent Senior Cup last night and took Bromley all the way to penalties in the FA Trophy on Saturday, despite having 10 men for a lot of the second half. With a win against Hampton they would move to 1 point behind us with a game in hand, they'll be up for it.

Basement club Billericay don't have a game on Saturday.
HamptonMad

I have great faith in Gary keeping us up. He is a good honest Manager. We need to get behind the team like Hampton fans do. Our biggest problem at the moment is the pitch imo. Have the drains collapsed again.
TW3 Beaver

HamptonMad wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:38 pm I have great faith in Gary keeping us up. He is a good honest Manager. We need to get behind the team like Hampton fans do. Our biggest problem at the moment is the pitch imo. Have the drains collapsed again.
All this rain recently can't be helping.
Shepperton Supporter

Assume that if there are any questions regarding the pitch fitness then the club will be looking at an early inspection. Having seen photos of trees being brought down one hopes Beveree has survived any such misfortune.
TW3 Beaver

Match Postponed.
Waterlogged pitch.
Shepperton Supporter

From what I could see the pitch became unfit after the final heavy shower. If we had started there was a good chance it would have been abandoned. This way we do have two weeks to repair the pitch.
Tony

Maybe a blessing in disguise giving Gary more time to work with the new players and develop familiarity.
Les1949

Thanks tothe work by volunteers on Friday afternoon/evening and Saturday morning the ground had been made ready and safe for the game, Any damaged areas had been sorted or in some cases fenced or barriered off. The main area of concern was that a tree had fractured behind the boardroom/1921 Lounge. A VERY large branch had fallen onto the roof and there was concern that more of the tree would fall into the Business Park's car park - it was too dangerous for guests to use the Lounge yesterday.

Richard Curtis had prepared the pitch well and at 11am it was in perfect condition. As expected rain started to fall just before noon. The match referee made an inspection after he arrived. He was late but it had taken him an hour to do the last 2 miles - the traffic around Hampton was, at times, gridlocked. Not helped by the fact that during the morning the Shepperton line had closed which meant no trains to Hampton. The first inspection was 'inconclusive', the second time the decision was on the lines of ' if we start we may not finish'. After this, the second look, the heavens opened - this while players were warming up. By this time the two assistants had turned up - also held up in slow moving traffic. The 3rd inspection at around 2.30 ended with the match being called off. It can certainly be argued that the referee could have called off the game after the second look, which would have saved the pitch having 30 or so players running around on it!

As regards the rain, I can testify to how much fell out of the skies. Manning the car parks and directing parking for 3 hours was no fun. When the game was called off I was wringing water out of my gloves and hat - I have witnesses to that effect - and drove home to have a complete change of clothes (and I mean, complete) before returning to the ground to help with the tidy up (and a welcome glass of red wine).

There was nothing anyone could have done to prevent the match being called off, it was, as they say -a perfect storm!
Big Rich

Les1949 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:43 pm Thanks tothe work by volunteers on Friday afternoon/evening and Saturday morning the ground had been made ready and safe for the game, Any damaged areas had been sorted or in some cases fenced or barriered off. The main area of concern was that a tree had fractured behind the boardroom/1921 Lounge. A VERY large branch had fallen onto the roof and there was concern that more of the tree would fall into the Business Park's car park - it was too dangerous for guests to use the Lounge yesterday.

Richard Curtis had prepared the pitch well and at 11am it was in perfect condition. As expected rain started to fall just before noon. The match referee made an inspection after he arrived. He was late but it had taken him an hour to do the last 2 miles - the traffic around Hampton was, at times, gridlocked. Not helped by the fact that during the morning the Shepperton line had closed which meant no trains to Hampton. The first inspection was 'inconclusive', the second time the decision was on the lines of ' if we start we may not finish'. After this, the second look, the heavens opened - this while players were warming up. By this time the two assistants had turned up - also held up in slow moving traffic. The 3rd inspection at around 2.30 ended with the match being called off. It can certainly be argued that the referee could have called off the game after the second look, which would have saved the pitch having 30 or so players running around on it!

As regards the rain, I can testify to how much fell out of the skies. Manning the car parks and directing parking for 3 hours was no fun. When the game was called off I was wringing water out of my gloves and hat - I have witnesses to that effect - and drove home to have a complete change of clothes (and I mean, complete) before returning to the ground to help with the tidy up (and a welcome glass of red wine).

There was nothing anyone could have done to prevent the match being called off, it was, as they say -a perfect storm!
Many thanks to you Les, and all the volunteers, for you efforts for the club!
Big Rich

It was so wet the carburettor got flooded in the club car 😂
HamptonMad

Did not even bother to go Big Rich. Knew it would be off. Need to get them drains fixed again.