St Albans away.

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Shepperton Supporter

TW10 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:00 pm Slew is a goal scorer.. no doubt about it
Would agree but would need a big target man to play off. On his own might be out muscled by big defenders. Let’s see what Gary does.
Jamie

tones wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:20 pm I can't understand why of late the club seems to start the season without a proven goalscorer. We seem to be playing catchup too often when a player who can score goals should be a priority at the start of a season.
Other clubs with bigger budgets can cherry pick the best strikers at the start.
Clubs with smaller budgets have to wait for players to fall out of favour etc, and then try and tempt them with the lure of regular football.
That's how I usually see it with strikers, as that is the one position everyone needs to win matches.
The other option is to take a risk on a lower level player.
Tony

We started the season with a proven goal scorer, Slew, who scored goals in virtually every game until we brought back Muir. Slew has since been largely dropped to the subs bench and Muir has not delivered much in the way of goals. His record at the back end of last season was much the same. There lies the issue. Playing the two together has not really worked either. Finding ways to create chances for Slew is the key. He is a very good finisher given the right supply.
RogerB

That was something I'd suspected but, as I've not managed to get to many games, I didn't like to mention. Muir seems to lack confidence in goalscoring situations and so prefers this "hold-up" role. Wouldn't we be better with Slew and Fisher up front?
tones

Why is a proven goalscorer sitting on the bench when Hampton have been so short of goals of late and have missed plenty of chances and half chances. Don't we want to win any more games before Christmas?
GRTourist

tones wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:10 pm Why is a proven goalscorer sitting on the bench when Hampton have been so short of goals of late and have missed plenty of chances and half chances. Don't we want to win any more games before Christmas?
We haven't got any more games before Christmas