Those Were The Days; 24th February 1968

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Les1949

THOSE WERE THE DAYS
24th February 1968
Spartan League
Hampton 4 (Allen 2, McCormack, Rowlands) Rayners Lane 0

Joe Andrews; Alan Earl, Ken Merry, Don Aldridge, Peter Minor, John McLintock, Syd Carter, Mickey Garman, Peter Allen, Terry McCormack, Arthur Rowlands.
Sub; Graham Belcher

Rayners Lane offered little opposition, whilst Hampton did just enough to sweep them aside without having to work too hard. McCormack had an early chance which cleared the crossbar, whilst former Southall player, Benett, had a rare foray forward for the visitors. After twenty-five minutes, Allen slipped a through ball to McCormack who fired past the advancing Milton. Earl and Rowlands both had shots on target, but the first half ended with Hampton holding a 1-0 lead. In the 53rd minute, McCormack repaid Allen, by putting the Hampton forward in to score, with the help of a slight deflection. Hampton went 3-0 up when Rowland’s shot went through Milton’s hands. The fourth goal came after good work, again, by McCormack, allowing Allen to beat Milton, ‘all ends up’. The match report bemoaned the fact that it wasn’t a very good game and that Hampton will have to play better against stronger opposition.

The Old Historian
Tony

Possibly the definitive Hampton line up of the 1960s. I wonder how they would have fared against today's side?
TW10

I remember Arthur Rowlands, he was a coach at Hanwell Town when i played for them in the early 90s. His son played for QPR
Shepperton Supporter

Tony wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:29 am Possibly the definitive Hampton line up of the 1960s. I wonder how they would have fared against today's side?
I think this is a question that runs through many supporters minds in every club. Very difficult to compare eras , fitness standards, tactics etc would come into play. Perhaps it would be fairest to say these players given modern training etc would be good.
Shepperton Supporter

TW10 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:48 am I remember Arthur Rowlands, he was a coach at Hanwell Town when i played for them in the early 90s. His son played for QPR
His son Martin also played for Brentford, if you want some controversy then mention him to their supporters!
TW3 Beaver

Shepperton Supporter wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:58 am
TW10 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:48 am I remember Arthur Rowlands, he was a coach at Hanwell Town when i played for them in the early 90s. His son played for QPR
His son Martin also played for Brentford, if you want some controversy then mention him to their supporters!
Also played for today's visitors, in another guise, Farnborough Town.