New Supporters Trust elections

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Tony

The ST is seeking a minimum of five new directors to join the board. Great opportunity for those of you with strong opinions and ideas about how supporters should interact with the club going forward.
Cliffp

What is the role of the ST these days Tony?

I got the impression from other posts since the “takeover” that the ST had given up any influence over the direction of the club and as some might say “sold out” for the benefit of a few individuals being given positions of faux confidence in the new regime?

Just to add these are not my own feelings as I don’t have any insight into the dealings just what I pick up from the comments I’ve seen.
Cliffp

So basically no influence from within the club just a group outside hoping to voice the views of the supporters who choose to sign up?

I thought there was more of an influence from the previous ST. What happened during the takeover to remove this? Genuine question.
Tony

I am merely posting out of interest for anyone who might not have received the email. I am not involved.

The future role for the Trust post takeover is something that was heavily debated. Clearly not in the same position as before and much will depend on the attitude of the new owners to fan engagement. What is relevant is that there is increasing pressure on clubs from the FA to consult with fans on matters affecting them so the Trust can be the conduit for that debate. Most Supporters Trusts and fan groups do not hold shareholdings in their clubs but that doesn’t mean they have no role or influence. The Beavers Trust does retain a small shareholding and does have board representation through its nominated official. You can form your own view at to what that is worth by speaking directly to current board members. It is clear that the Trust is looking for new blood and ideas so a great opportunity to get involved if you are interested. As far as I am aware there is no intention to be a closed shop so if you can find support to be elected then here ‘s your chance.

I should also point out that FA rules on key issues such as heritage assets apply to clubs at NL and above and as it is the clubs ambition to be promoted, this is not something that the club can ignore. How they decide to engage with fans on this remains to be seen.
BeaverWatcher

Speaking personally I let my Trust membership lapse during the covid season's but have signed up again as from last night. I didn't, and still don't, agree with the decision of handing over the shareholding but as I wasn't a Trust member had no say in the process.

However it's, arguably, more important now to have a large number of Trust members following the takeover so that when the Trust does engage with the owners they can speak for representing the majority of the fan base. With a limited shareholding it's place in the decision making process is now, as we have seen with the changes, null and void. So even if you don't think that the Trust has a place or were disillusioned with the decision it's members made I would still suggest signing up so you can get your voice heard and help influence the Trust's decision making process.

On that basis I would say that only allowing 5 days for new members to sign up ahead of any nominations for roles is very quick and only those existing or old Trust members will be 'in the know'. I don't expect the main club twitter account to promote it but I would hope that those Trust board members will be pro-actively speaking to supporters on Saturday with forms to increase membership.

I would have thought that giving a 4 week option for new members ahead of nominations would give the Trust more chance to get the new supporters signed up for it and ask any questions they may have as they may not be aware of the work the Trust has done in the past and what it is there for.
Tony

I think you are over-estimating the power of the Trust pre takeover. It was in the same position as now with board representation. The size of shareholding only made it relevant when it came to matters that needed a club Special Resolution. The real influence came because of the good relationship with the club board as a whole and the fact that volunteers from the Trust gave their time to support the club in roles where the club wasn't able to afford paid support. Had the board at that time had a different attitude then they could have quite as easily ignored the Trust and booted them off the board. The Trust was never in a position to run the club independently without finding substantial financial support from elsewhere even if the club had dropped down a few divisions.
BeaverWatcher

In my mind Tony that is still an important thing to keep hold of, especially as it was gifted from Graham Wood when the club found itself in a very perilous position following a chairman who overspent and then left when the money run out.

The state of the club when the Trust was formed was in a far worse state than it was in January of this year and every board since the formation of the Trust has been happy to have supporter representation and a significant shareholding as they recognised the importance of supporter engagement and what the Trust could help with.
Jamie

BeaverWatcher wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:25 am Speaking personally I let my Trust membership lapse during the covid season's but have signed up again as from last night. I didn't, and still don't, agree with the decision of handing over the shareholding but as I wasn't a Trust member had no say in the process.

However it's, arguably, more important now to have a large number of Trust members following the takeover so that when the Trust does engage with the owners they can speak for representing the majority of the fan base. With a limited shareholding it's place in the decision making process is now, as we have seen with the changes, null and void. So even if you don't think that the Trust has a place or were disillusioned with the decision it's members made I would still suggest signing up so you can get your voice heard and help influence the Trust's decision making process.

On that basis I would say that only allowing 5 days for new members to sign up ahead of any nominations for roles is very quick and only those existing or old Trust members will be 'in the know'. I don't expect the main club twitter account to promote it but I would hope that those Trust board members will be pro-actively speaking to supporters on Saturday with forms to increase membership.

I would have thought that giving a 4 week option for new members ahead of nominations would give the Trust more chance to get the new supporters signed up for it and ask any questions they may have as they may not be aware of the work the Trust has done in the past and what it is there for.

I was upset at last years vote with the process, as a life member I had made the long commitment paying £150.
Yet in the lead up to the vote, the Trust had not been proactive getting members to renew their annual memberships, then announced members would automatically be renewed without having to pay.
Regardless if they had said they wanted to renew or not.
This was unfair, as mine and others life memberships were active, yet people who hadn't renewed still got the same voting rights. This I believe was unjust.
Also, I wonder how the proxy votes were used, as the Chairman of the trust has the ability to do as many proxy votes as they want, whereas members are limited, the Chairman therefore "could" have made significant proxy votes for their own personal view, without even consulting those members not in attendance of how they wanted to vote.
This I feel left open the vote to be forced through in a very undemocratic way, and also against the rules of the Trust.

I also agree, giving only 5 days for new membership sign ups is not enough, and since the vote at the end of last year, the Trust have been less than proactive in looking to build up the membership.

I notice from the Trust email yesterday, that it seems they will not be having the existing board members "retire" and to stand for re-election, but merely increase how many spaces are on the board.

At the last AGM the "retire" board members stood unopposed, even though I made my intentions clear I wanted to stand for election, I was told I couldn't as those set to "retire" wanted to stay on. This is against the rules, and I had this confirmed by the FSA.

Leading up to last years vote on the shares, the Trust board said they had been in contact with "Supporters Direct" leading up to the process. Supporters Direct hasn't been a thing since 2017.
In my correspondence with the FSA this year (the correct name of the governing body) I was told that the Beavers Trust had no dialogue with the governing body during that process.
People can make their own conclusions on that.
Jamie

Tony wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:50 am The Trust was never in a position to run the club independently without finding substantial financial support from elsewhere even if the club had dropped down a few divisions.
The Trust never actively looked to get financial support from elsewhere. This is the entire problem.
The club could have been run by the Trust.
The funds can be raised with a more pro active approach holding events throughout the year.

Music festival, beer festival, lots of things can be done to bring in significant additional money just as other clubs do.

The Trust should have been more proactive, and looked to put the feelers, out. I know of several people who could have put in decent sums of money.
RogerSW

The Trust, along with Directors, played a significant role in keeping the club going twice, as well as contributing money and a large number of volunteer resources during normal times. I think it's essential to have a Trust with as many members as possible.

Football clubs play an important role in our communities - former sports minister Tracey Crouch MP has done great cross-party work on getting an Independent Football Regulator to make sure clubs work to improve, and not harm, communities, including helping clubs not be reckless financially so not go bust (tragically too many cases to mention), nor behave irresponsibly towards local communities, by reviewing the governance of football clubs (tightening ownership rules and making sure Trusts and local communities have a formal role in running clubs). She's made recommendations and got backing by all colours of future governments.
Unfortunately some wealthy owners of Premier League clubs and others are lobbying the government against these changes, wanting no restriction on what they do or how they behave, trading on the special loyalty of supporters. On the other hand, some club owners openly welcome Tracey Crouch's changes as a way of working cooperatively with supporters and communities for the benefit of all.

Fair Game, run Niall Couper, is working constructively to help Tracey Crouch, the FSA and others to get these changes through, info at https://www.fairgameuk.org/.

So meanwhile I think great to join the HRBFC Trust, share the info with friends, to try to work constructively with the club board and owners for the benefit of all.
https://hampton-richmond-borough-fc-sup ... m/products

Roger W
Last edited by RogerSW on Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony

Jamie, the email from the Trust says that the existing Trust directors may consider standing for re- election. That suggests that they will be subject to the same election process as any other candidate if they decide to stand. So effectively they are retiring.