Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Les1949

THOSE WERE THE DAYS
September 21st 1968
F A Cup 1st Qualifying Round
Hampton 1 Kingstonian 5
Kelly

Hampton;
Joe Andrews; Alan Earl, Brian Smith (Dave Johnson), Graham Belcher, Peter Minor, Ken Merry, Dave King, Peter Kelly, Peter Allen, Lance Wintle, Dave Timberlake.

Kingstonian;
Cobb; McLeod, Finn, Blunt, Edwards, Preston, Baker, Adaway, Cane, McCormack, Bride.
Sub; Heasman

The first ever meeting of Hampton and Kingstonian, did not end well for the home team. Hampton had the first chance but Allen headed against the bar in the 17th minute and then former Hampton player, Derek Edwards tried a snap-shot overhead kick which flew over the bar. McCormack gave Kingstonian the lead in the 60th minute, but Hampton quickly levelled through Kelly, after Cobb had pushed out a shot from King. On several occasions Referee, Faulkner ‘rebuked’ several Kingstonian players for persistent handballs to delay Hampton’s attacks. Against the run of play McCormack restored K’s lead. Then, in a five-minute spell, Hampton conceded three goals through Baker, McBride and again, McCormack, to complete his hat-trick.

The Old Historian
HamptonMad

Happy days. Return to play at the Bev. Against my old school master Lance Wintle.
Shepperton Supporter

I remember this game because it was one of the few games I missed at that time. I was best man at a friends’s wedding!

Funny how clubs change, at that time Ks were a couple of steps further up the football pyramid, now they are below us and struggling with no ground.
With Yeovil coming to day it is an even sharper contrast, because about ten years ago they beat Brentford in a playoffs and look where both clubs are now!
Jamie

Shepperton Supporter wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:26 am I remember this game because it was one of the few games I missed at that time. I was best man at a friends’s wedding!

Funny how clubs change, at that time Ks were a couple of steps further up the football pyramid, now they are below us and struggling with no ground.
With Yeovil coming to day it is an even sharper contrast, because about ten years ago they beat Brentford in a playoffs and look where both clubs are now!
A massive shame what happened to K's with success in 90s/00s.
Also AFC Wimbledon massively doing the dirty on them selling to Chelsea and giving K's £1million, like that gives them any chance of building their own ground in the area.
Hopefully this never happens to Hampton / Hampton & Richmond Borough