Those Were The Days; 15th September 2014

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Les1949

THOSE WERE THE DAYS
September 15th 2014
Isthmian (Ryman) League Premier Division
Hendon 2 HRBFC 2 Att; 218
Kewley-Graham, Carder

Jack Norton; Ben Osman (Paris Mason, 63), George Wells, Tommy Brewer, Billy Jeffreys, Kieran Murphy, Jesse Kewley-Graham, Karle Carder, Luke Wanadio, Charlie Moone, Jerome Federico.
Unused Subs; Matthew Steer, Gareth Chendlik, Reece Brewster, Michael Bryan.

Alan Dowson’ s first game in charge ended reasonably satisfactorily with a 2-2 draw. Kewley-Graham scored for HRBFC after just 19 seconds. By half time though, HRBFC’s defensive frailties had come to the fore as Hendon scored twice before half time through Dave Diedhiou and Leon Smith. HRBFC’s Club Chaplain, Paul Barker, reported that Dowson’s half time talk was ‘interesting’, and ‘voluble’, his only concern was that only fellow North-Easterner, Norton, could understand half of the Geordie’s instructions! Chances were at a premium in the second half but in the 84th minute the Beavers equalised. Mason chased down a long ball and his cut-back was eventually fired in by Carder.
What no-one could have foreseen was, that in the summer of 2018, Hendon’s Manager, Gary McCann and his entire management team, would take over at HRBFC from Dowson.

The Old Historian
Last edited by Les1949 on Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RogerB

Funny how my memory plays tricks with me. I could have sworn we were struggling in the Isthmian League when Alan Dowson took over.
Lord Elpus

RogerB wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:07 am Funny how my memory plays tricks with me. I could have sworn we were struggling in the Isthmian League when Alan Dowson took over.
I was under the impression he took over during a close season. Funny how I can remember stuff from the 80s and 90s seasons much more clearly than this era...
RogerB

I do remember that, at his first press conference, he said he was coming in to a relegation situation, which seems rather premature in early September. Presumably a case of getting his excuses in early so he couldn't be blamed whatever happened.

Mind you, we had just been dumped out the FA Cup by VCD Athletic!
Josh2002

RogerB wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:07 am Funny how my memory plays tricks with me. I could have sworn we were struggling in the Isthmian League when Alan Dowson took over.
It was the Isthmian League, error in the original post.
Lord Elpus

RogerB wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:16 am I do remember that, at his first press conference, he said he was coming in to a relegation situation, which seems rather premature in early September. Presumably a case of getting his excuses in early so he couldn't be blamed whatever happened.

Mind you, we had just been dumped out the FA Cup by VCD Athletic!
Ah of course, the VCD cup game. Abysmal performance. So he did take over in the September then.
Tony

Dowse was appointed only 24 hours before the Hendon game but had managed to bring in Kieran Murphy on loan from Hemel H. We were second bottom of the league at the time.
Les1949

Ooops yes, forgot to amend the league from working on another 'memory'