HVFC/HRBFC Memorial game tonight...

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
GRTourist

Jamie wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:31 am Let's not pretend why Sam Cox has been approached, as he was months ago.
He is was a new big character in the latest series of Ted Lasso.
If he signs, just wait for the "Armando signs" crap on social media.
There's absolutely nothing about Mel Gwinnett as a manager that suggests he'd entertain signing a player because they've been on a TV show.
Tony

I've never watched Ted Lasso either but seems quite possible that is the reason behind Sam Cox popping up yesterday to play v HV. Whilst he is clearly experienced enough to play at this level, it would be pretty invidious if it looked as if someone was being picked for their marketing potential rather than for pure footballing reasons. Perhaps West Ham should buy him given that his character plays for them in the TV show? Goodness knows they are struggling to spend the Declan Rice transfer fee.
BevereeMaster

Jamie wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:31 am Let's not pretend why Sam Cox has been approached, as he was months ago.
Or it could be the fact he was a player coach at Welling last year and that is something we know Mel is interested in. Sam also loves the club and left for specific reasons which you know very well as he told you personally and to be honest if the closest they get to making us like Ted Lasso is by bringing Sam Cox back to the club who has been here before and is great for the changing room then so be it.
HamptonMad

Josh2002 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:18 am Poor attempt at fishing HM.
No Fishing here. After watching last night cant see us winning any of the first seven games.. So poor.
Mucky knees

HamptonMad wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:19 pm
Josh2002 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:18 am Poor attempt at fishing HM.
No Fishing here. After watching last night cant see us winning any of the first seven games.. So poor.
Well I didn't see you at the match HM...

MK
Jamie

Lord Elpus wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:02 am
Jamie
I haven't seen any of the Ted Lasso series and have no interest in doing so. Could you explain a bit more? Does Sam Cox share a name with a character in it or something?
I watched an episode and a bit of the first series, however there were too many coincidental references to digs at Hampton, and then seeing people involved in creating the series were AFC Wimbledon supporters, it was clear what they were referencing.
In season (series) 3, I believe "Armando" is a big player at West Ham. The actor for the character is Sam Cox (smashing guy by the way)

Sam is a coach at Tottenham, and had worked on the show helping with the football action parts, coaching players and being involved as an "extra". His brilliant lively and outgoing personality obviously made an impression as they cast him for the role in series 3.

I have to say I have nothing against Sam Cox, quite the opposite, he is a brilliant guy and lights up a room with his presence.
My issue is the new regime wanting to be the "real life AFC Richmond" it is frankly embarrassing.