New pitch floodlights etc.

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
DistantBeaver

RogerB wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:25 pm
Shepperton Supporter wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:31 pm It might be that the lack of information is because there are factors both allowed for and unexpected that make firm information difficult . If they released dates which proved wrong then can you imagine the comments.
I think you're being very generous to the new owners. If they'd had the confidence to come out and say they had run into unexpected problems with whatever is being done, explained what the problems were and given some provisional dates with the proviso that those dates may be subject to delays, I think supporters would have been sympathetic. As it is, it's a toss-up as to who'll play a game on their home pitch first, HRBFC or Ivan Toney.

Never know Middlesex Senior Cup
Ivan Toney first game back against HRBFC lol 😂
Lord Elpus

This is the way of "bigger and better funded" clubs though isn't it. All announcements are relentlessly upbeat and positive. Anything about difficulties or problems just isn't made public. Some may say it's all about controlling the agenda and narrative or maintaining a positive image. Others might say it's a bit Pravdaesque. I'd guess it's just the way it's going to be from now on. Overall though, no, I don't really see the point of being so secretive either.
RogerB

Lord Elpus wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:00 pm This is the way of "bigger and better funded" clubs though isn't it. All announcements are relentlessly upbeat and positive. Anything about difficulties or problems just isn't made public. Some may say it's all about controlling the agenda and narrative or maintaining a positive image. Others might say it's a bit Pravdaesque. I'd guess it's just the way it's going to be from now on. Overall though, no, I don't really see the point of being so secretive either.
Don't know about Pravdaesque, Nick. Sounds more Johnsonian to me, and look how that ended up!
Lord Elpus

Don't know about Pravdaesque, Nick. Sounds more Johnsonian to me, and look how that ended up!
[/quote]

Haha! True. Johnson just lies full stop...
Jamie

RogerB wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:25 pm
Shepperton Supporter wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:31 pm It might be that the lack of information is because there are factors both allowed for and unexpected that make firm information difficult . If they released dates which proved wrong then can you imagine the comments.
I think you're being very generous to the new owners. If they'd had the confidence to come out and say they had run into unexpected problems with whatever is being done, explained what the problems were and given some provisional dates with the proviso that those dates may be subject to delays, I think supporters would have been sympathetic. As it is, it's a toss-up as to who'll play a game on their home pitch first, HRBFC or Ivan Toney.
Exactly!!!
Just be open and honest, you get far more respect for it especially in business.
Small statement about unfortunate red tape, or contractors over ran on other jobs etc, that's all it needs to put peoples minds at rest.

I find it odd that the club aren't keeping the ground maintained in the meantime, weeding etc, keep the pitch grass cut down (not expecting a bowling green), but keep it tidy, in case plans need to change. Every year there's always been plenty of volunteer working parties to do this. The new owners may have lots of money behind them, but surely it doesn't make sense to be paying out money all the time when can get volunteer man power to save on expenditure.

Could have been using the ground in the meantime for events to bring money in too.
Les1949

I find it odd that the club aren't keeping the ground maintained in the meantime, weeding etc, keep the pitch grass cut down (not expecting a bowling green), but keep it tidy, in case plans need to change. Every year there's always been plenty of volunteer working parties to do this. The new owners may have lots of money behind them, but surely it doesn't make sense to be paying out money all the time when can get volunteer man power to save on expenditure.

I looked in on the ground the other day. Felt quite sad, it has to be said.

Yes, volunteers would have been working at the ground, all year round, not just during the close season. I helped, with others, to organise working party weekends to spruce up the ground before the friendlies kicked in. Helped Bob to mark out the fresh green pitch for many years. You name it, volunteers got on and did it, often without needing to be asked.

Problem is, the owners, when they first arrived, having lauded the wonderful people working around the ground (I seem to recall t-shirts for all the dedicated volunteers being promised!), didn't really want them around. Wasn't professional enough etc.

So, all the areas surrounding the pitch -and the car parking areas - will need to be weeded/cleared, whatever at a cost to 'the club' when it could have been so different.

I also recall that in the past supporters would complain that there wasn't enough 'communication' to the supporters from those running the club - currently 'silence is golden' or is it?
Tony

So if I read the newsletter correctly the 3G and floodlights are being delayed to next close season which comes as a big surprise. No explanation given for the change of plan.
EastTerracer

Tony wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:43 pm So if I read the newsletter correctly the 3G and floodlights are being delayed to next close season which comes as a big surprise. No explanation given for the change of plan.
The newsletter is not very clear on reasons but my reading was that all the steps necessary to allows works to commence did not happen or did so too slowly.
Tony

Just begs the question as to what prevented work commencing and invites speculation.
EastTerracer

Tony wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:33 pm Just begs the question as to what prevented work commencing and invites speculation.
Yes, not sure why the club can't be straightforward on this. Something has clearly gone wrong.
BeaverWatcher

EastTerracer wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:59 pm
Tony wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:33 pm Just begs the question as to what prevented work commencing and invites speculation.
Yes, not sure why the club can't be straightforward on this. Something has clearly gone wrong.
Indeed, know one within the club can say that this was part of the plan for the summer. No 3G pitch means another 12 months of paying to hire training facilities for the first team as well as training and match pitches for the academy.

With the comments of infrastructure changes I believe that the club wanted to do more that simply relay the pitch and floodlights and that is where the issues have occurred. Either with contractors or getting the required permissions from the council to start the work.

Even in early May Beveree was being emptied with everything being put in storage in anticipation of works starting so for this to come out, 7 weeks before the start of the season, indicated to me a very swift change in plans.
TW16Brucie

I can’t believe that a new pitch can be relaid in so few weeks.