Welling away

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Josh2002

3-0, as mentioned above, these fringe players are nowhere near the required level.
Tony

3-0.
Tony

Quite a few of the regulars playing as well don’t forget. Nothing riding on this of course but Welling have been terrible most of this season.
Shepperton Supporter

I am sure Mel knows this and that we are nowhere good enough at present.
Lord Elpus

Another away game I'm thankful I didn't bother with. I'll be there for the last home game on Sat but the end of the season can't come quick enough really can it?
TW2-Beaver
Site Admin

Lord Elpus wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:03 pm Another away game I'm thankful I didn't bother with. I'll be there for the last home game on Sat but the end of the season can't come quick enough really can it?
Agreed. Looking forward to a relaxing May/June following some other pursuits in life and recharging the batteries. Think everyone needs it.
Shepperton Supporter

Be interested to hear what Mel thought about it. He has given fringe players an opportunity and it would seem they are not what we require if we are to mount any sort of successful campaign in 23/24.
Hopefully a busy summer of recruitment. Will be there on Saturday hoping for a better performance.
Lord Elpus

TW2-Beaver wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:18 pm
Lord Elpus wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:03 pm Another away game I'm thankful I didn't bother with. I'll be there for the last home game on Sat but the end of the season can't come quick enough really can it?
Agreed. Looking forward to a relaxing May/June following some other pursuits in life and recharging the batteries. Think everyone needs it.
Absolutely this! I'll be looking forward to the start of next season when July rolls around but this season has really been a bit miserable at times. Some of the football was dire at times (until changes were made) and all the other distractions often made for a soured experience. Things, as they say, can only get better. Hopefully...
Lord Elpus

Lord Elpus wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:10 am
TW2-Beaver wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:18 pm
Absolutely this! I'll be looking forward to the start of next season when July rolls around but this season has really been a bit miserable at times. Some of the football was dire (until changes were made) and all the other distractions often made for a soured experience. Things, as they say, can only get better. Hopefully...
EastTerracer

Shepperton Supporter wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:43 pm Be interested to hear what Mel thought about it. He has given fringe players an opportunity and it would seem they are not what we require if we are to mount any sort of successful campaign in 23/24.
Hopefully a busy summer of recruitment. Will be there on Saturday hoping for a better performance.
Mel's Twitter comments were indeed interesting. Noting that both teams made changes he said 'the lads they brought in were better than the one's I brought in'. On recruitment, he said he had 10 or 11 players who would form the basis of next season's squad but would look to bring 7-10 players in. He also commented on bringing in 3 or 4 young development players (a trial game had been held for 18-22 year olds) but I'm not sure if that was as well as the 7-10 or part of that.
Tony

I guess these development players could go out on loan to gain experience otherwise they are not going to get much game time.
Jamie

Josh2002 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:23 pm Shock horror, we miss another penalty!
Didn't Mel previously say he would be personally coaching penalty taking, and telling players which way to shoot! :oops: :shock: