Ron King RIP A Hampton Legend

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Les1949

Ron King has passed away (about 88 years young).

He first played for the club in 1956/57 in the Hatherop days of the South West Miidlesex League and was best man to fellow player, Syd Harrison at his marriage to Shirley .
From 1963/64 to 1966/67 Ron, a central defender, made 144 apps scoring 3 goals, after rejoining the club from Wealdstone.

Ron was first team manager from 04/08/1979 to 04/10/1980, in charge for 78 games.

Sadly you might have been able to read this, an a bit more, in the next home programme, but following the incidents referred to elsewhere, that seems very unlikey now.
shaunden

Sad news.I remember Ron playing for Twickenham Royals with the Cooper brothers and Syd Harrison in the early 50's.
RogerB

There can't be many, if any, of the Hampton team of the mid-50s that are still alive. I know that Ernie Thomson, Ivor Griffin, Alan Duddy, Ted Brown, Derek Manning, Denny Cooper, Syd Harrison and Joe Cooper have all passed on. Does anyone know if Jake Cooper is still with us?

I may be wrong but I seem to recall that Ron King was still a teenager when he first joined us which would make his current age 86. When he came back to us in the mid 1960s to play centre-half, he was a massive presence in the defence. I remember our three games against Barnet, one of the top amateur teams in the country at the time, in the London Senior Cup. Ron was up against centre-forward Roger Figg, an England amateur international at the time, and never gave him a look-in in all 3 games.

And Shaunden, you must be as old as me if you remember those Twickenham Royals games on Sunday afternoons. Some Hampton players played 2 games every weekend, for Hampton on the Saturday and the Royals on the Sunday in the West Middx Sunday League. Some of those Royals games used to get massive crowds, especially if Jolly X were the opponents. Nothing else to do on Sunday afternoons in the 1950s !
shaunden

Hi Roger, I am 75.The Royals Club Secretary ,Syd Arnold, lived a couple of doors away from me in Gould Rd.Twickenham.I would go up to Kneller Gdns with him and his 2 sons for all the home games and a lot of away games, sometimes in a coach. The Jolly X games were always great ,we always took the box round collecting money and if I remember Jim Towers played for Jolly X while playing for Brentford. Syd died a few years ago and his eldest son ,also Sydney died recently. I played for them in the late 60's along with Phil Keefe ,Julian Goodlace.I believe Shirley Harrison is still in touch with Walter Lindsay ,age about 90 ,who also played for the Royals
Shepperton Supporter

Yes Roger, I remember watching Hampton at Hatherop road (can’t remember Ron King, but can the Cooper brothers) and the epic games in the 1960s. Such happy times and great memories.
Shirley Harrison is the font of all knowledge for this time, she still keeps in touch with players from that era. Think she said yesterday that Ron was 87 when he died.