Direction of club

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
TW2-Beaver
Site Admin

EDIT: The issue below is now largely resolved, see end of thread.

--
I am very sad to post this, but I will no longer be editing the matchday programme for the club. I have tried to keep an open mind and go along with the new ownership of the club, acknowledging that you don't always get your way in life and sometimes things will happen that you don't like, so you have to give people a chance, but I am afraid today is the final straw for me and I can't justify continuing.

A friend of mine (Alec Barry), one of our most loyal and dedicated supporters, was denied entry to the ground today for no apparent reason. I will separate the facts about what has happened from my personal view:

Facts:

- One of the new owners (the older one) stopped Alec at the gate and had a chat with him and the club's new safety officer.

- Alec was told that an allegation had been made against him. He was not told what the allegation was or who made it.

- I notified the new safety officer that you need to inform someone in writing and give a reason if you are banning them. The new safety officer said that it was the fault of the previous safety officer (Dave Rees, another loyal and dedicated supporter who has left) that nothing had been put into writing. I am not having a go at the new safety officer, he has clearly just been told to say this.

- I have confirmed with Dave Rees that he was never asked to investigate anything or put anything into writing and this is a complete lie. The regime are just trying to pass the buck onto him.

- I and a small number of supporters (those who saw the incident) chose not to attend the match today and we will no longer attend home fixtures until the current regime leave. We will still attend away fixtures.

--

Opinion/conjecture:
As far as I can ascertain, the little boy they have recruited as a bar manager in recent weeks (who needed to get help cleaning the lines) has taken exception to Alec for reasons unknown to me. I will be trying to catch him to ask him about this. If I have got this paragraph wrong I will happily apologise and retract.

Chris Hurst
Brit

It is quite a long time since I was able to attend a match as I am a carer for my disabled and housebound wife, soon after I left the position of company secretary. Just for the record I have been disappointed with some of the recent changes but realised that there would be changes with a new owner. I have kept in touch with the club's fortunes but will now abandon any support or interest in the club whatsoever.
Tony

Chris, thanks for your great programme productions over the last few seasons. I know how hard it is to do this week after week with tight deadlines and the need to find fresh content. Production values have certainly improved since I did it 20 years ago. I can’t comment on the issue that arose today as I don’t know the details. Always best for both sides to talk things through before making decisions so maybe someone should make a peace offering?
TW2-Beaver
Site Admin

Tony wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:52 pm Chris, thanks for your great programme productions over the last few seasons. I know how hard it is to do this week after week with tight deadlines and the need to find fresh content. Production values have certainly improved since I did it 20 years ago. I can’t comment on the issue that arose today as I don’t know the details. Always best for both sides to talk things through before making decisions so maybe someone should make a peace offering?
Many thanks Tony, yes you're right, it's always best to talk things through. I am always happy to talk and big enough to take things back and climb down etc, when required!
Big Rich

I can’t help thinking that boycotting home games is not the best strategy to try and influence the club’s direction.
TW2-Beaver
Site Admin

Big Rich wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:19 pm I can’t help thinking that boycotting home games is not the best strategy to try and influence the club’s direction.
Ultimately for me its about loyalty to my pal, not telling anyone else what to do.

The best way to have "influenced the club's direction" was not to have handed 100% control to these people. But that ship has sailed now.
Lord Elpus

Really sorry to hear all this Chris. Re the Alec stuff, (and I've no idea what happened) you've proved what a good communicator you are with your sterling programme work, so try to keep lines of communication with the owners open, at least for the time being.
HamptonMad

Alec Barry is one of the nicest people i know. Alec would not hurt a fly.To stop Alec attending the game today v Weymouth must have broke his heart. Everyone at the club will also tell you the same about Alec and Chris Hurst.They are really nice blokes Who have both supported the Club for years. You both have my full support. And i hope this matter is sorted.
Last edited by HamptonMad on Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Les1949

Chris, fully understand your 'stand'. I did wonder why I didn't see you at the ground today.

Alec can be a bit of a pain at times (goodness only knows what the brothers would have made of Gibbo in his prime) but he has been a solid supporter of the club since he came to watch a friendly against Fulham with his late dad, Steve, and, sometimes, he lets his enthusiasm, for what he sees as the 'right' thing to do, run away with him at times.

If we were in a totalitarian state we would be looking at a 'show trial' where the accused is not told what he is accused of, or by whom, or when. The charge is made by accusers who suggest that the accusation was made by an official of the state, who was not there to press the charge (if any). Sadly it is typical of those in charge who will brook no interference or questioning of anything that they do. I firmly believe that they want to clear out of the club anyone, and I mean anyone, who had any contact, or influence with the previous club (I say, previous club, because the club's history now starts with them, not what went before).

Oh well, it looks as if the Old Historian has written his last article for the club programme, as well as contributions to HRBFC Twitter (Solidarity!). If anyone wants to read any further Those Were the Days Articles, they can find them on this forum (as long as it is running?) or on the Non-League Players Facebook.
My stuff will not be in the new-style publication, unless someone at the club does a reverse ferrett (doubt it) - if they can manage to find someone to do it, perhaps the Media Manager can fit in the time?
Lord Elpus

Tradition plays a large part in following a football club, and indeed fan culture in general. To have this tradition you need links to the past. It's a mark of insecurity if you have to sever any links to the past, and for people who clearly have so much control at the club now this is quite odd. I don't know what he's been accused of and Alec clearly doesn't always cover himself in glory, but he's a bit of a talisman behind the goal and it isn't the same when he's not there.
TW10

The brothers made a great move in getting Mel Gwinnett and because our fortunes have turned because of him they probably feel they have more power and control than if gates were down to 250 and we were getting relegated.

It’s interesting that Les, who is a club stalwart/ legend really thinks they want to get rid of all associates of the pre acquisition..where does that leave Jacques le Bars?? Is he being completely sidelined if not surely he can mediate?? Also where are the two lads who used to do the commentary in lockdown?? v funny (not rob overfield) both tall, one dark hair other glasses? not seen them
at the club for a while..
Les1949

[ Also where are the two lads who used to do the commentary in lockdown?? v funny (not rob overfield) both tall, one dark hair other glasses? not seen them
at the club for a while..
[/quote]

Serb White & Matt Glew is who you are thinking of