Those Were The Days; 19th February 2011

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Les1949

THOSE WERE THE DAYS
February 19th 2011

Football Conference (Blue Square) South

Dartford 0 HRBFC 4 Att; 1043
Yaku 2, Wells, Hodges

Matt Lovett; Nathan Collier, Craig Tanner, Orlando Jeffrey, Dean Inman, Dean Wells, Francis Quarm, Pat O’Connor, Ian Hodges (Charlie Moone, 81), Lawrence Yaku (Dave Tarpey, 67), Barrie Matthews (Bai Lette-Jallow, 85).
Unused Sub; Kraig Rochester

140 days after their last league victory, the Beavers registered a win, and what a turnaround it was, 4-0 at Dartford. Wells struck after just four minutes, seizing on a scuffed pass from O’Connor, driving in from 15 yards. On 37 minutes a probing ball by Quarm allowed Hodges to nip in from close range to earn a comfortable 2-0 first half lead. A quick fire double from Yaku early in the second half put the game beyond Dartford – the first saw Yaku turning his marker and scoring from 12 yards, his second a side foot volley from a Hodges nod down. Beavers were able to pull themselves out of the relegation mire, eventually finishing 18th.

Yaks, 276 apps, 99 goals (with the best will in the world, I cannot find him a 100th!)

The Old Historian
TW3 Beaver

Les1949 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:33 am

Yaks, 276 apps, 99 goals (with the best will in the world, I cannot find him a 100th!)

How old is he now?

Could bring him out of retirement.

That one goal could be all important.
Mucky knees

TW3 Beaver wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:52 am
Les1949 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:33 am

How old is he now?

Could bring him out of retirement.

That one goal could be all important.
TW3 Yaks turns 48 on the 25th of May...

MK
RogerB

Whenever I see these team line-ups from the past, there always seems to be one player I've no recollection of. You'd have thought I'd remember a name like Bai Lette-Jallow but he rings no bells.
The other surprising thing about this line-up is that it's almost entirely the same people that got to the play-offs in previous seasons yet they went 20 weeks without a win in 2010/11 and narrowly escaped relegation. Shows the narrow margins between success and failure.
And I'd always remembered Moone and Tarpey as following Yaku and Hodges but here they all are in the same squad.
Les1949

Not surprised you don't remember Lette-Jellow, came from Thurrock, 7 starts, 4 subs - I can't recall what he looked like!
Jamie

RogerB wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:11 pm Whenever I see these team line-ups from the past, there always seems to be one player I've no recollection of. You'd have thought I'd remember a name like Bai Lette-Jallow but he rings no bells.
The other surprising thing about this line-up is that it's almost entirely the same people that got to the play-offs in previous seasons yet they went 20 weeks without a win in 2010/11 and narrowly escaped relegation. Shows the narrow margins between success and failure.
And I'd always remembered Moone and Tarpey as following Yaku and Hodges but here they all are in the same squad.

Just shows you what miracles Alan Devonshire could achieve, he could spot some amazing players with potential for later years.

Yet everyone goes on about needing a massive budget.
BevereeMaster

Dowse was arguably better. Some of the players we had in that play off final season and also that title winning season have gone on to do great things.
Lord Elpus

Jamie wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:52 pm
RogerB wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:11 pm Whenever I see these team line-ups from the past, there always seems to be one player I've no recollection of. You'd have thought I'd remember a name like Bai Lette-Jallow but he rings no bells.

Just shows you what miracles Alan Devonshire could achieve, he could spot some amazing players with potential for later years.

Yet everyone goes on about needing a massive budget.
Totally agree with this. Dowson signed a couple of names who went on to bigger things, true, but we hardly had any weak spots under Dev. His method of having a very strong "spine" to the side, i.e. Lovett, Wells, Hodges and Yaks etc worked brilliantly with others coming in to complement them, who weren't always the most skilful but who worked incredibly hard and would never let you down. Graham Harper, Barrie Matthews, Marcelo Fernandes etc all spring to mind. This, and getting to two playoff finals makes him our best manager in my view, but other opinions are available of course...