Meet the Owners Q&A tonight! Wednesday 1st February

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Tony

Good summary from Nick. I spoke at length with Mel after the meeting ended about all aspects of the current situation, team and future ambition. It is not appropriate to put much of this on a public forum but think it is fair to say he is very much a man manager with a different approach to what we have seen before. If we survive this season then next we will be shopping in quite a different market and there is real ambition to be promoted. Whether promotion is sustainable or brings bigger headaches is something that we can park for now. Whilst there was discussion and comment last night that we would bounce back from relegation and continue with the plan, I am personally not so sure this survives reality for a whole bunch of reasons. Hence the need to focus on getting players in now to turn things around and bolster the confidence of a squad that is lacking in this department. There was clearly some strong feeling in the room about how things have been conducted since the takeover and a string of bad results on the pitch will do nothing to make that situation easier.
BevereeMaster

Lord Elpus wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:22 am
TW10 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:06 am Thanks Lord E..any thoughts on what is the real motivation of the backers and the brothers? is it monetary or glory? Ultimately It has to be one of the other? After all neither the backers nor the brothers will be doing this for entirely benevolent reasons? All this talk of "professionalism" of how the club is run raises the question of what are the playing targets of the club over and above not getting relegated. Is it to be solid at step 2 or to go higher? The documentaries surrounding Salford, Wrexham and Dorking provides an insight into how challenging and expensive that can be. I personally think "going higher" is impossible just given the infrastructure and facilities at the club. I agree the whole this is interesting but also surreal and a bit odd.
What's their real motivation? Well that's the million dollar question isn't it? I don't know that we're likely to get an answer to that. I genuinely can't see how it's monetary but then I'm no expert in business or finance. So I have no alternative than to say it's for the glory, or to prove to others that they have the ability. Their targets last night seemed pretty clear-they want to take us into the league. And before everyone piles on and says how ludicrous, yes, I have massive doubts that too, surely with our infrastructure and facilities we'd never be able to manage it. Stefano said something about how you need to aim for the stars, so maybe that means they'd be happy with the National League (ie the league above us) but who knows really. They did talk a bit about upgrading facilities as they were needed. I completely agree about it being interesting but also surreal and a bit odd though. For the moment though it might be worth taking it at face value because there are clearly some interesting times ahead.
Spot on.
Tony

Jamie wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:14 am Thanks for posting Lord Elpus.

What I can't get my head around is why people didn't think to ask questions before voting to give the club away.
The supporters trust board said they had been in discussions for months or so, but doesn't seem the actually asked much, or stipulated conditions.

I still don't see why someone taking over the club would have such a fear of a supporters trust. The supporters will never stop the club progressing or improvements, but is there as a safety net if things go wrong.
I would be interest to learn what people think the safety net provided by the Trust would look like today if the investment had not taken place.
Lord Elpus

Jamie wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:14 am Thanks for posting Lord Elpus.

What I can't get my head around is why people didn't think to ask questions before voting to give the club away.
The supporters trust board said they had been in discussions for months or so, but doesn't seem the actually asked much, or stipulated conditions.

I still don't see why someone taking over the club would have such a fear of a supporters trust. The supporters will never stop the club progressing or improvements, but is there as a safety net if things go wrong.
Jamie, I think people did ask questions. I tend to agree with you, but its really worth noting that the club was broke. As I understand things, it pretty much had no money at all. If the Supporters Trust insisted on staying part of the package we would have continued to have had no money at all. OK so they are no longer on the board but The Supporters Trust can still be there to act as a safety net if things go wrong, ie if the owners leave. As long as there is an organisation in place (like the Trust) which could step up when needed and maybe take over if the club ever had to consolidate in a lower league then isn't that enough? As a club we had clearly arrived at a place where it was time to decide what we wanted to be. A competitive National League club or one content to be in the lower rungs of the Isthmian or Southern. I have no problem with the latter and would still go, but if we have this opportunity it's got to be worth a try, even if we end up with the latter if it all falls apart.
Tony

Slight correction, the Trust still has a board representative until the end of the season and potentially longer if the board agrees. Going forward the Trust needs to redefine its role as clearly we do not have a substantial shareholding and are very unlikely to have one in the foreseeable future. Not all supporters and volunteers were members of the Trust and the new owners might feel that wider fans views are not being tapped and should be consulted in a different manner.

Had there been no investment and the current board decided to step down or threatened to wind up the club ( as happened at Walton Casuals) then I suspect the Trust would only have been able to assist in finding new owners, and being a distressed sale, the terms would have been much less attractive than what was achieved. Not sure there was any appetite to step in and run the club.
Brit

I would not like to judge or comment here on the wisdom of the owners actions but we do know the immediate outcome. If the club was broke we might in due course see this change as a rescue from losing the club. I go back to my thought that for a 'comparative' modest sum they have now a foothold directly into the league system with complete ownership and therefore control of a club. There is the possibility that there is a very long term view that ,with progress throught the leagues, it might even involve eventually relocating when and if the ground cannot sustain a move higher up the leagues. Ovbviously this is all 'long term' if they are considering the cost of an artificial pitch on land they could never own. As for continuing on a sustainable basis that would be quite an acheivement. So the club continues and the impression from what has been said the owners are approachable and have a plan for the future even if relegated. I am encouraged but like others I remain to be convinced of the motive.
Last edited by Brit on Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LouisFell

Just adding that I appreciate there were several questions submitted ahead of time that weren’t covered, there will be regular fan forums in future and a newsletter with an F&Q’s section
James Dean

Louis. Can the owners provide some answers to the written questions that went unanswered? Loads weren’t addressed. Thanks.

LouisFell wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:02 pm Just adding that I appreciate there were several questions submitted ahead of time that weren’t covered, there will be regular fan forums in future and a newsletter with an F&Q’s section
LouisFell wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:02 pm Just adding that I appreciate there were several questions submitted ahead of time that weren’t covered, there will be regular fan forums in future and a newsletter with an F&Q’s section
James Dean

Rafa told me at the end that if they hadn’t have come into the club in January, then the club would have closed, due to lack of funds to continue.
BevereeMaster

Some more info on the brothers and what they have done and are doing for other sports as well.

https://www.iamuxa.com/about
Les1949

Re this...
There were some questions about the volunteers leaving. One quite emotional. Stefano spoke about how he recognises that they may have caused offence in their discussions with volunteers etc-this wasn’t intentional and they apologise, which did sound very sincere. But he also stated that they want the club to feel inclusive to everyone who comes, or is new to it, not just those who have been coming for years or who already have familiarity with the place and the individuals that were here. They are also keen to listen. Their reasons for making changes are that they wanted to pay staff properly and keep this fully above board, and this has led to many volunteers, including some who were paid, leaving. This was their choice. Former volunteers are always welcome to come back. The new way of doing things had to be adopted if things were going to be run on a more professional way, acceptable to businessmen putting money in. He genuinely sounded apologetic about any upset in the way this was done.

Sandra has asked someone to go on to the forum on her behalf.
I wasn't at the meeting - preferring to watch the Under 18s on the pitch.
Sandra was 'the emotional one'. Sandra would like it known that it was never about 'pay'. Sandra has been cooking burgers at the club for, what, 10/20 years. What upset her was the fact that the brothers never spoke to her or the other girls in the kitchen. Didn't ask who they were, what they did, how they were. Perhaps it is how those in charge now behave in the corporate world to their catering staff? Sandra has a number of jobs and is quite happy paying PAYE (anyone can always talk to her behind the Bar at the Railway Bell for confirmation).

BTW, don't shoot the messenger!
GRTourist

Lord Elpus wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:01 am I went. This is a rough outline, based on what I heard, although others may have read different things into it or I may have got the wrong end of the stick. Both the brothers were there, as were Mel Gwynnett and Jacques LeBars. It lasted about an hour and was filmed.
Stefano started off answering the question “Why Hampton”. The gist of this was that they are interested in professionalising and developing from the club’s own funds, which will obviously have to be run sustainably. Lots of talk about pride and aspiration for the local youth. He talked for quite a bit of time, including about showing to their backers what we can do and how it can be done. There was also a comment about wanting the club to be around for another 100 years.
There were some questions about the volunteers leaving. One quite emotional. Stefano spoke about how he recognises that they may have caused offence in their discussions with volunteers etc-this wasn’t intentional and they apologise, which did sound very sincere. But he also stated that they want the club to feel inclusive to everyone who comes, or is new to it, not just those who have been coming for years or who already have familiarity with the place and the individuals that were here. They are also keen to listen. Their reasons for making changes are that they wanted to pay staff properly and keep this fully above board, and this has led to many volunteers, including some who were paid, leaving. This was their choice. Former volunteers are always welcome to come back. The new way of doing things had to be adopted if things were going to be run on a more professional way, acceptable to businessmen putting money in. He genuinely sounded apologetic about any upset in the way this was done.
Apparently any investors or co-owners have invested in the club and have actually put their money in by the sound of it. The brothers call the shots at the club on the day to day basis.
Re. the new pitch-it isn’t necessarily for a commercial enterprise. They want youth teams (of all ages) Women’s teams, academy etc all to be able to use it, as well as the first team being able to train on it. If it doesn’t happen this season they will keep trying.
I do think Stefano came across as being sincere and committed. There is a slight tendency to lapse into the kind of “corporate speak,” phrases like "adopting a shared vision" etc, which makes some feel a bit suspicious (he's much better when he doesn't do this) but I came away feeling like we have something to get behind. I really hope I’m not proved wrong in the future though.
Mel Gwynnett spoke about his background…he was asked to go and work at Exeter City on a voluntary basis when they had just gone bankrupt and had been relegated (I think to the National League?) He was involved in turning it into a community club, run on a sustainable model, which eventually went back up into the league on a much stronger footing. There were clearly discussions about Mel getting involved here right from when the brothers first considered taking over the club. He came to a game at Hampton as early as last season to see it for himself although it is a bit unclear as to when it was suggested he could be given a job here-I think it’s fair to draw the conclusion this may have been some weeks before Gary McCann eventually went. Others may be able to clarify this. Seems pretty clear no other managers were under serious consideration.
Mel IS well aware of the need to recruit but he isn’t prepared to pay over the odds, although he is constantly ringing clubs higher up trying to bring in loanees, proper ones who are up to the level, not just kids by the sound of it. He is waiting to hear about bringing in two players from Championship clubs on loan before the weekend. You’re only allowed 12 loans a season and we need to mindful of that. Mel reckons he does have contacts who can scout and recommend players to sign from more local areas but he seems most interested in players let go by bigger clubs. He clearly sees Exeter and Barnet as being models in how to run a club, as long as it can be done sustainably. He believes we will stay up because we will get the right players in and we will be too good to go down. But if the worst happens and we do, he will be here to get us back up again. The brothers are also committed if we get relegated.
Steve Bates and Dale from the Academy are doing coaching roles at the moment as they know the players well. Mel is skilled and experienced in developing coaches and may well bring in his own guys at some point when they are ready.
I have to say Mel is very impressive and articulate in how he comes across. He definitely isn’t the typical non-league football manager who talks in cliches and depends on a little band of journeymen who follow him round, which is so often seen at this level. It’s a refreshingly different approach, I am intrigued to say the least and wish him all the very best.
Bloody hell. Did you have a dictaphone in there?!

To my memory, that's absolutely spot on - and fwiw I also agree with the conclusions you've drawn from it.