St Albans city Home Tuesday

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Tony

We clearly have a current problem with injuries which may not be resolved in the next couple of games. We are probably at the limit of our loan capacity so maybe need some fresh permanent signings.
Shepperton Supporter

If you are right Tony then let’s hope for a striker. We need someone to finish off the possession. Think we might need other positions as well.
BevereeMaster

I see Gary always using the same excuses in his “gaffa tapes” and I find it quite bemusing because every season we have a ridiculous amount of injuries to numerous different players, surely there comes a point where maybe new training drills need to come in place or a change of methods because I have not seen many Hampton teams over the years with the amount of injuries we do season after season. Another excuse he uses is fatigue, which is normal considering how many games we are playing, but every team in our league is playing similar amount of matches and they seem to be doing just fine with injuries and also energy, just look at St Albans last night. So I don’t think blaming fatigue is a very valid excuse, instead we should stop trying to hoof the ball every time we get it and try play some footy on the floor more often, because when we do we actually look quite good. Gary also never seems to give constructive criticism off the bench, I always hear him just shouting and moaning at the players, not sure that will do their morale any good. I think the run of form we had recently was also quite lucky, prior to Concord most of ours goals came from penalties in the league. We could very easily be a relation battling side this year and if the takeover doesn’t go ahead god knows where we may be end of season especially if we start slashing the budget. Important couple of weeks for Gary imo, World Cup starting soon so a string of good performances and results could lead to some much needed increased attendances which would be a great help financially.
Jeb99

BevereeMaster wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:24 pm I see Gary always using the same excuses in his “gaffa tapes” and I find it quite bemusing because every season we have a ridiculous amount of injuries to numerous different players, surely there comes a point where maybe new training drills need to come in place or a change of methods because I have not seen many Hampton teams over the years with the amount of injuries we do season after season. Another excuse he uses is fatigue, which is normal considering how many games we are playing, but every team in our league is playing similar amount of matches and they seem to be doing just fine with injuries and also energy, just look at St Albans last night. So I don’t think blaming fatigue is a very valid excuse, instead we should stop trying to hoof the ball every time we get it and try play some footy on the floor more often, because when we do we actually look quite good. Gary also never seems to give constructive criticism off the bench, I always hear him just shouting and moaning at the players, not sure that will do their morale any good. I think the run of form we had recently was also quite lucky, prior to Concord most of ours goals came from penalties in the league. We could very easily be a relation battling side this year and if the takeover doesn’t go ahead god knows where we may be end of season especially if we start slashing the budget. Important couple of weeks for Gary imo, World Cup starting soon so a string of good performances and results could lead to some much needed increased attendances which would be a great help financially.
Some fair points about fatigue. I would say that we won all those penalties because of the number of chances we have been, and still are, creating. We just cannot convert.

I still think Tommy Wood is a quality striker and we'll see the best of him when Brandon is back in the side and up alongside him, but he's cutting a massively isolated figure at the moment. Whilst a back four allows us to get more bodies around him, we saw last night (and in early season) how defensively fragile that four can be.
TW2-Beaver
Site Admin

BevereeMaster

Jeb99 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:43 pm
BevereeMaster wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:24 pm I see Gary always using the same excuses in his “gaffa tapes” and I find it quite bemusing because every season we have a ridiculous amount of injuries to numerous different players, surely there comes a point where maybe new training drills need to come in place or a change of methods because I have not seen many Hampton teams over the years with the amount of injuries we do season after season. Another excuse he uses is fatigue, which is normal considering how many games we are playing, but every team in our league is playing similar amount of matches and they seem to be doing just fine with injuries and also energy, just look at St Albans last night. So I don’t think blaming fatigue is a very valid excuse, instead we should stop trying to hoof the ball every time we get it and try play some footy on the floor more often, because when we do we actually look quite good. Gary also never seems to give constructive criticism off the bench, I always hear him just shouting and moaning at the players, not sure that will do their morale any good. I think the run of form we had recently was also quite lucky, prior to Concord most of ours goals came from penalties in the league. We could very easily be a relation battling side this year and if the takeover doesn’t go ahead god knows where we may be end of season especially if we start slashing the budget. Important couple of weeks for Gary imo, World Cup starting soon so a string of good performances and results could lead to some much needed increased attendances which would be a great help financially.
Some fair points about fatigue. I would say that we won all those penalties because of the number of chances we have been, and still are, creating. We just cannot convert.

I still think Tommy Wood is a quality striker and we'll see the best of him when Brandon is back in the side and up alongside him, but he's cutting a massively isolated figure at the moment. Whilst a back four allows us to get more bodies around him, we saw last night (and in early season) how defensively fragile that four can be.
That is true to be fair about chance creation but I guess it gets to a point where if u go so many games without converting it’s no longer bad luck etc just your not a very good side.

I also have a soft spot for Tommy but we do not play to his strengths at all and Temi next to him is not very helpful.

New striker soon I hope, we are in desperate need of some pace up top which is why Brandon stands out so much when he plays (also the fact he’s quality) so hopefully a strong quick slightly smaller number 9 who will compliment Tommy well.
Josh2002

Find it hard to disagree.
HamptonMad

Just watched it again on youtube. It does not get any better. Anyway another 22pts and we will be safe. This is our level. We would break the bank and go bust in the National league.
Mucky knees

HamptonMad wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:17 pm Just watched it again on youtube. It does not get any better. Anyway another 22pts and we will be safe. This is our level. We would break the bank and go bust in the National league.
As you keep on saying HM!

Oh your scoreprediction of last night's match (a one nil win to Hampton was far out)!!!

MK
Josh2002

Mucky knees wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:59 pm
HamptonMad wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:17 pm Just watched it again on youtube. It does not get any better. Anyway another 22pts and we will be safe. This is our level. We would break the bank and go bust in the National league.
As you keep on saying HM!

Oh your scoreprediction of last night's match (a one nil win to Hampton was far out)!!!

MK
His predictions always are.
HamptonMad

I have never got a score right yet. Start The Club Car Mr Barbel lets get out of here.
Shepperton Supporter

Think most of us would like a striker as described by correspondents. Gary would probably agree but he would say he has no money to get in what would be an expensive player. He would also point out that there are few suitable players available except if we offer silly money to both player and current club.
There is talk about the takeover, it might go ahead, but from what I understand, there is no talk of increasing playing budget. They seem to be indicating they want to invest in the club’s facilities. Granted if the current trend of results continues then there may be some player investing to avoid relegation.