Retained list.

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Shepperton Supporter

Although there is one more game to go , Gary in his interview said he hoped that 8-10 of the current squad would be with us next season. He further said he was having discussions next week with two players and had a further 4-5 possible targets.
Interesting times, think most of us can guess most of the retained list. Hope the players next week include forwards and central defender!
Tony

It won’t all be sorted next week! I don’t think we ever publish a retained list and imagine many of the current squad will reappear in pre season friendlies. If we end up retaining more than 8/10 then recruitment probably hasn’t gone that well.
TW3 Beaver

Tony wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:02 am It won’t all be sorted next week! I don’t think we ever publish a retained list and imagine many of the current squad will reappear in pre season friendlies. If we end up retaining more than 8/10 then recruitment probably hasn’t gone that well.
Talking of Pre-season friendlies have any been announced?
TW2-Beaver
Site Admin

TW3 Beaver wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 12:34 pm Talking of Pre-season friendlies have any been announced?
Not that I've seen. Let's not play AFC Surrey Franchise this time, please
Shepperton Supporter

U
TW3 Beaver wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 12:34 pm [quote=Tony post_id=2474 time=<a href="tel:1651557736">1651557736</a> user_id=68]
It won’t all be sorted next week! I don’t think we ever publish a retained list and imagine many of the current squad will reappear in pre season friendlies. If we end up retaining more than 8/10 then recruitment probably hasn’t gone that well.
Talking of Pre-season friendlies have any been announced?
[/quote]

In his interview Gary indicated five have been penciled in.
Shepperton Supporter

Picking up on previous comments, working on the 8-10 retained, it might be that the three young players introduced in the squad will be retained, Uche, Hines and Brazley are included although not sure if they all feature in Gary’s numbers.
Most folk would hope to see Julian, Donaldson and Inman on the list. (Assuming Julian wants to continue playing)
In midfield perhaps Gray and Deadfield.
There is several others who might be included TMR, Farrell, Allen, Dronfield and Dunne come to mind. Would expect them around, but can’t see them all staying although much may depend in recruiting.
As far as strikers are concerned the cupboard is bear!!
There are some missing positions especially in defence,
We await news during the summer but much will depend on the budget.
Last edited by Shepperton Supporter on Fri May 06, 2022 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony

Can't see Dronfield being with us. He is based in Norfolk and was rarely picked to start in his second spell with us. Suspect he will find a team closer to home. Farrell must be a doubt as again he was frequently dropped in the latter part of the season and came in for some criticism from the manager during mid season. Capable at this level but not his best season with us. Barzey is on a contract so imagine he will stay but don't see him as a regular starter if we are aiming at the play offs. Dunne would probably be a squad player at best so he might want more regular game time elsewhere. Hines I think we will retain but might help his development to go out on loan a level lower to get regular game time.
Lord Elpus

Agree with all Tony says above but I actually think Hines is a classy young player who should probably be put on a contract.
Shepperton Supporter

We should remember that our league next season will have more teams so the need for a larger squad in numbers will be required.
Players like Dunne who can play in a variety of positions will be vital to cover for injuries and suspensions, rest players and alter formations.
Listening to the Block interview, he did seem interested in returning next season. It will depend of course, as to what Woking decide, understand he lives on the south coast plus switching to part time. Gary may have other options?
Stanwell Beaver

On the subject of 'Retaining players' my thoughts.....for what they're worth -
Julian, Donaldson, Inman, Barzey, Deadfield, Gray, Hines, Miller-Rodney, Farrell, Uche, Dunne.
BTW - anybody not inking TMR as a retainee wants to give their head a wobble (imho) - so reliable.
Obviously, we need one, if not two prominent forwards as our marquee signings, along with a dependable partner at the back for Deano.
TW10

Spot on with Miller-Rodney, v good player..hard to disagree with that list of players
Tony

Stanwell Beaver wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:59 pm On the subject of 'Retaining players' my thoughts.....for what they're worth -
Julian, Donaldson, Inman, Barzey, Deadfield, Gray, Hines, Miller-Rodney, Farrell, Uche, Dunne.
BTW - anybody not inking TMR as a retainee wants to give a wobble (imho) - so reliable.
Obviously, we need one, if not two prominent forwards as our marquee signings, along with a dependable partner at the back for Deano.
That is basically every player who is not a loanee. I would personally like to see a more radical approach but budget will dictate who we can bring in.