Club Statement 03/05/24

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
TW10

Can anyone shed any light on the reasons why? Did Mel leave and if so why or was he sent packing by the brothers? I would bet on the latter. Forget missing out on the play offs, the style of football was awful to watch. Either way the club must put out a statement explaining why. I wonder if they have someone lined up and put into place quickly? If not it will be a tough rebuild and we may to struggle to hold onto our better players as they get approached by other clubs.
Josh2002

In two minds about this, the unbeaten and FA trophy runs were superb, but the football was turgid towards the end and for all the brothers’ ambitions, play offs surely had to be seen as failure. Nonetheless I wish him all the best for the future. Next appointment is massive and one the club has to get right.
Lord Elpus

Interesting. I wouldn't bet against him having been sacked. The run in was dire as was some of the football at times, even during the unbeaten run. The statement is worded so vaguely that further explanation is definitely needed although I doubt we'll get it.
So...who's next or might be available? The runners and riders please...
Cox?
Dowson? No thanks...
Garrard?? Hmmm...
Josh2002

I wouldn't be surprised if we go left field with the appointment again, like with Gwinnett. Garrard would be a superb appointment.
Tony

Another bemusing club statement only leading to speculation as to the reasons why. As they say, Friday evening always a good time to bury bad news. I would have thought Paul Tisdale might have afforded Mel some protection. Obviously not. The end of season collapse may be the reason or maybe Mel decided he wasn’t getting the support needed. Time will tell.

As for a replacement, could it be Garrard? Maybe Tisdale? If we don’t hear very quickly then I guess the departure was not planned.
Shepperton Supporter

Think possible reasons for his departure have already been voiced. One additional one might be that Mel lived in the west county and at 60 might have found travelling and hotel staying just too much.
Must say that the lack of news and activity in the closed season did start to raise alarm bells with me. Players and fans need stability and unless this is established quickly then we could be into a difficult season.
The appointment of a new manager of the correct status is imperative.
Further clarity from the club is needed.
Josh2002

Mel lives in the Northampton area, though I believe he was staying locally several days a week.
Cliffp

My take on this is quite simple.

When it came to it and providing Mel the funding to invest in the squad and cement a play-off place last season there was none. The “owners” don’t have any money and are a pair of chancers.

Mel has probably sussed this and despite the PR offensive with the ridiculously naïve statement of attaining EFL status the “owners” don’t have the means to achieve it.

The promise to supporters of regular (bi-weekly) updates has gone by the wayside.

Look across the river and see the positivity with quick action and speedy recruitment. These clowns are out of their depth.

Talking the talk but unable to walk the walk.
PS the “owners” What do they actually own?
HamptonMad

All the best Mel. Thanks for all you did for Hampton fc. Just hope its not Dowson who nearly took 2 teams down this season.
TW10

on twitter Luis Fernandez’s didn’t seem impressed and pretty much said his son will be off
TW10

luis fernandez dad