Hampton & Richmond Borough FC / Match Reports / 2012/13 / AFC Kempston Rovers (Away)

Choose a season:
Welcome to the Match Reports section of the website. Use the navigation to the left of this box to find reports including team line ups, attendances and other stats. This is not an official website.

AFC Kempston Rovers 0-3 Hampton & Richmond Borough
Saturday, 8th September 2012. Att: 130
Scorers: Bray 13', Moone 25', Benjamin 73'

Rob Overfield

The Beavers set a new club record of 7 consecutive clean sheets - a record that had been set back in 1967 - but once Alan Bray opened the scoring, the result was never in doubt.

Although the Walnut Boys made the first attack, Hampton took control and on 13 minutes, they took the lead. After Charlie Moone had forced a save from the Kempston keeper, the resulting corner flew past everyone to the back post where Alan Bray stooped to nod the ball home. The lead was doubled on 25 minutes, as solid work down the right from Mal Kamara allowed him to slip the pass to Charlie Moone.

Moone transferred the ball to his left foot and cracked a powerful shot into the back of the net. As the half came to an end, AFC Kempston made their first clear chance, the number 9 managed to get to the by-line and tried to beat keeper Rodney Chiweshe at his near post, but Rodney was aware of where his goal was and pushed it away easily.

HT AFC Kempston 0 Hampton & Richmond 2

The second half saw the hosts take more possession and pressure but still the Beavers looked comfortable. Just before the hour, Moone broke through from the right; his cross was pushed away, but Joe Turner was following up, and saw his shot parried away by the keeper. Kempston still felt they could get one goal and after a neat move, the number 11 found some space on the edge of the box; although the shot was rising, it forced Chiweshe to make sure and tip the ball over the bar. With the mid point of the half behind them, the Beavers put the game beyond the Bedfordshire club.

Joe Benjamin had recently come onto the field for Charlie Moone and he was put through by Turner, and as the keeper came out to meet him, the ball flew into the net emphatically. The lead was nearly 4 just after this as Elliott Bent - on in place of JJ Bates - broke through the somewhat fragile Kempston back four; however his shot was pushed wide for a corner. Bent could have redeemed himself as time wound down, but once again his shot was within the keeper reach and it was cleared. A professional performance by the Beavers and one that exorcised the horrors of the 2nd qualifying round last season. Turner and Bates stood out in a good all round team performance, that has set the club up for what must be classed as one of the games of the season so far, a home game vs second placed Lowestoft Town next Saturday.

01 Rodney Chiweshe
02 Malvin Kamara
03 Alan Bray
04 Tom Hickey
05 Max Hustwick (c)
06 Billy Jeffreys
07 Joe Turner
08 Gary Holloway
09 Charlie Moone
10 James Simmonds
11 Jon-Jo Bates

Assistant 1:
Assistant 2:
Attendance: 130
< Back to Match Reports